A bucket list for Sussex finalists

The boxes to tick before you leave

It is said that it’s the things you don’t do that you regret most. In fairness, during your university years it’s probable there are many things you’ll do, love, then regret doing. But with so much of a focus on sex, drugs and rock & roll there are other must dos before graduation you might miss.

Befriend your neighbours

Students living next door can set alarm bells ringing. It brings assumptions of loud music, drunken antics and an overflow of Domino’s boxes on the front lawn. If you want to live your final year throwing house parties, (which we all do) befriending the neighbours is as crucial as setting the playlist and getting mixers in. You don’t want Seth Rogen reporting your noise disturbances. That said, if you have good fences and walls you’ll be good with the neighbours.

Top Tip: Lemon Drizzle Cake. If this fails, there really is no hope.

Go to the pubs and clubs which are ‘on your list’

Whether you’re a Revenge veteran or addicted to Pryzm Wednesdays, chances are there are clubs and pubs you haven’t graced. In Brighton and Hove alone, there are more than 300.  A night like never before (literally) carries great potential. Cheaper alcohol may be discovered or delicacies like the ball pit in Funfair unearthed. Blind drunkenness may leave you wandering unknown streets but makes a great story for Never Have I Ever.

Top Tip: Trial it with a Tinder date. If it goes tits up you’ll never have (want) to go there again.

Don’t work too hard, escape the stress by joining a society

The biggest mistake you can make as a finalist is working too much. Being part of a society committee is a welcome distraction from sobbing in the library. Whether you’re the born leader calling the big shots, party animal executing the best socials or Countdown fanatic in charge of finance, it brings the breath of fresh air needed to thrive in third year. Modesty might be your thing, but the jump up in social status is deeply satisfying.

Top Tip: Apply for treasurer and rise to power. La Marseillaise!

Go to an away game

Playing BUCS fixtures is one of the highlights of university. Playing at home is easier but the Away Day experience is awesome. Settling nerves with drink and banter on the minibus, pumping team-mates up in the changing room, or, if not so lucky, a pitch side arrangement of trees, winning to send your supporting crowd of one man and his dog wild, celebrating post-match trying the local beer. If you do lose, the compulsory stop at McDonald’s on the way home is bound to cheer you up.

Top Tip: Make sure you sing Mr Brightside pre-match (C Sharp).

Take a trip to a new country in Europe

Another finalist stress-free tactic. Escape the building pressure and relive your fresher antics on a European break. Amsterdam is a super-liberal and chill city, so is great call for such needs (weeds). A trip to a new city won’t gift you a first class degree but other first time experiences are totally different. If Amsterdam isn’t for you, Berlin, Prague, Vienna and Dublin, all make great trips. Ski and Snow Societies also run extravagant bar crawls to the Alps. Wherever you go, the temporary feeling of being a first-year student can only be matched by receiving free wedges with your Domino’s.

Top Tip: Go on the Ultimate Bar Crawl, Amsterdam.

Do a good deed

If you haven’t climbed a mountain or ran a half-marathon, you know someone who has. Charities bombard students but, unlike promoters, it’s for an actual good cause.

Supporting RAG and their sizzling charity challenges is a definite must. It could lead you to the heights of Kilimanjaro or bring you the thrill of Jailbreak and, let’s be honest, it looks awesome on your CV. Pens down, buckets up, fancy dress on, it’s a perfect marriage of good deeds and thrill-seeking. No more humblebragging alone on Facebook, no more wondering if you should jog alone in the rain for 6 hours.

Top Tip: Donations take their place at the top of your Christmas list.

Realise that there are other things to do than clubbing

Fresher’s year will have defined a ‘night out’ consisting of pres before stumbling to a club. Keep to this and you will miss out on many a highlight your city has to offer. Whether its the touring Cirque Du Soleil or the buzz of a packed football stadium, there is more to evening entertainment than vodka and jaeger bombs. Even going old-school with a hike followed by a night under the stars can throw up delights (though probably not in coastal winds).

Top Tip: Try a day at greyhound racing, or a cycle on the new track at Preston Park.

Discover the secrets of your city

What on earth do you mean? I hear you say. This cannot be generalised and will be different for each individual. It will be the moment that brings you sheer delight and the realisation that you picked the right university. For me, as a proud Somerset resident, it was the moment I realised Haunt served bottles of Thatcher’s Gold. The more you get out, the better chance you have of finding your secret, so lets agree on avoiding the library tomorrow.