Sussex make it three Varsity wins in a row

Take that Brighton

The sweet smell of success hangs finely above Sussex University campus tonight after another outstanding performance on the courts and fields resulted in Varsity victory for the third year in a row. Once again, it was a contest which provided its fair share of drama and grandstand finishes for all those involved.

Both universities came out all guns blazing from the very start. A vastly more experienced Brighton Lacrosse team stormed to a 18-4 victory but, speaking to the Tab, Sussex Captain Hattie spoke of the positivity the side played with, something that would resonate with other Sussex teams. Even with Sharapova snack bars Brighton would have struggled as Sussex dominated tennis with 10-2 and 12-0 successes whilst ties in Badminton and victory for Brighton on the trampolines left the overall score at 3-3.

The afternoon session would be a memorable one for Sussex. American football team Sussex Saxons led the way with a 12-8 win including a final minute 80-yard run touchdown from Sergey Kuzmin.

After earlier league success this week, Sussex Womens Rugby swatted their opponents aside to win 22-0. A strike from Connor Bullen gave Sussex Men’s Football a point to prove as they drew 1-1 with a Brighton player telling Tab journalist Marcus Paul “Brighton will win varsity all the way”.

These words were spoken too soon. Though Brighton made a big splash in the pool and won Netball 51-37, a 2-1 success for Women’s Hockey gave Sussex a small 6.5-5.5 lead at the halfway mark.

There were two fine men’s rugby matches on Sunday. One was Scotand’s heroics against France which gifted England the Six Nations. The other came from Sussex who, after a 40-0 loss last year, delivered an outstanding 14-12 victory to tighten the grip on the title.

Men’s Volleyball went in favour of Sussex but inspired performances from Brighton’s Women Footballers and Ultimate Frisbeers kept the contest open at 8.5 – 7.5 to Sussex.

With five contests left, the dramatics of last year were expected to be seen again. On the wicket at the cricket, a last-ball victory for Sussex firmly kept the tie to its script of cliffhangers.

Again, Brighton fought back with a 3-1 Men’s Hockey success, but a convincing 60-27 victory for Men’s Basketball left Sussex on the edge of victory. With the score 10.5 – 8.5, only half a point was needed. Just like last year, with the same levels of pressure apparent, Sussex Women stormed to a 3-0 victory in the Volleyball to confirm the title. Brighton would win Women’s Basketball 65-35, but for the Panthers  it was too little too late once again.

Final score Sussex 11.5 – 9.5 Brighton. The party on the dance floors of Pryzm belongs to Sussex again.