We meet the SUDS directors behind two of this term’s plays

Tickets still available

Someone in SUDS (Sussex University Drama Society) had a wacky idea to put on a night of short plays this term, written and directed by students. The outcome was pretty spectacular and something that you really don’t want to miss out on.

I don’t know if you know but some fairly big stars have graduated from Sussex e.g Ian McEwan and Michael Attenborough (yeah, his dad is Richard). So don’t miss out on seeing some future stars in action next week. Plus one of the actors in the short Platform is actually a big deal, juggling his time between rehearsing for SUDS and acting in War Horse in the West End.

Century 16 

Century 16 is a series of six monologues set every twenty years from the Battle of the Somme to the present day. Each monologue is a personal account of an individuals struggle with war and repression taken place across Europe and Asia in the last one hundred years.

Joe, the writer, director and producer wants to shed light on individual stories sometimes left untold and events that we sometimes forget about. Joe believes despite the differing dates and settings the mistakes made and devastation caused is still relevant to us today. All leading to one final question, has anything really changed since thousands of British troops were sent clambering over the trenches into No Mans Land at the Battle of the Somme in 1916?

Director: Joe Egen, third year, Drama and Film

Favourite Play ?    

War Horse

Favorite actor?      

American: Tom Hanks

British: Patrick Stewart

Who would play you if someone made a film about your life?  

Kevin Bacon

If you were on the X Factor what song would you sing?  

You Raise Me Up by Westlife

What cereal are you?

Weetos – they’re always on the top shelf so you have to make an effort to reach for them but it’s always worth it in the end.

If you could date one celebrity who would it be?

Rachel McAdams

PLATFORM

This short is set on a train station platform, hence the title, where two characters Anthony and Gerald meet. After being forced into conversation Anthony finally unveils a dark secret. With its painteresque style and absurd undertones this play will make you question your own inner guilt and anxieties like never before.

Lucy is the director, working alongside Gabriel Owen who wrote the play and also stars in it. She’s been part of SUDS for four years and this will be her eighth SUDS play so she’s pretty much a pro at this.

Director: Lucy, masters, journalism

Why did you choose this particular play?

I wanted the intimacy of a small cast. The play appealed to me because it wasn’t just a gloomy play about death however the subtle projections of existential questions remain.

Favorite play?    

Earthquakes in London – Mike Bartlett

Favorite actor?

Judi Dench

J Law

Any Bieber Song

What cereal are you?

Coco Pops – they’re not good for you but so yummy and they…um… make the milk nicer

The last funny thing that happened to you?

My shorts fell down while I was running on the treadmill and whilst pulling them up I was flung off it…

To buy tickets, head to the SUDS Facebook page.