The secret life of Residential Advisers

They’re here to help

Second year housing is a rite of passage many students have to go through, but there are those who decide that the luxury of living on campus is too good to give up and apply for a residential advisor role (RA) in order to enjoy all the benefits that come with Sussex campus accommodation.

Being a RA is not just a convenient option, there are real benefits to doing it. For example, RA’s have a reduced amount of rent to pay, they have training in dealing with issues and problems that may occur with a bunch of students living together, they have exclusive events in which they can attend, they act as a spokesperson for your accommodation, and more.

So The Tab got in touch with a the Sussex RAs to see what the job is really like behind closed doors.

Aditi Sreevathsa (East Slope RA)

What have you learnt being an RA?

“I’ve grown both personally and professionally. It’s amazing how much you get to learn and understand not just about yourself but also people you interact with everyday. With the responsibilities of the role, I’ve also come to learn how to manage my time better. Additional perks include the fact that you get to be part of this amazing RA family who are there for you when the going gets tough. That to me is so invaluable especially since we’re all away from home and just trying to find our place in the world.”

Why did you choose East Slope as the place you wanted to be a RA?
“I lived in East Slope in my first year. I was in one of the older flats and lived with 11 others. I loved my Year 1 flat to bits, and got to know the residence itself pretty well. I’ve also got great views from the top of the slope.”

Your weirdest experience as a RA?
“You get strangely popular. People you’ve never seen/known wave to you and want to talk to you. That’s a nice kind of weird.”

What’s your favourite place to go out in Brighton?

“The seafront (obviously). Also, coffee at Small Batch Coffee, vegan cafes in the lanes, the Hobgoblin beer garden, North Laine Brewhouse. This list is potentially endless.”

Naomi Harris (Swanborough and Brighthelm RA)

What have you learnt being an RA?

“Being an RA has taught me a lot of things about myself and other people. I’ve learnt how I handle pressures and also how groups operate. You have to handle all sorts of issues being an RA and adapt quickly which gives you experience in all parts of life!”

Why did you choose Swanborough as the place that you wanted to be an RA?

“I opted to live in Swanborough as it is so central in campus, I had known a few people in Swanborough in my first year and the flats looked really nice.”

What are your plans for next year?

“I am currently planning on staying at the University of Sussex and doing an Msc. The residential support managers have rehired me as a Senior Residential Advisor for next year and I will be working with Park Village.”

Your favourite place to go out in Brighton?

“I’m not ashamed to admit that I LOVE pryzm Wednesdays!”

Elmi Dahir ( Swanborough RA)

What have you learnt being an RA?
“In the time I have been a Residential Advisor I have improved my listening skills greatly as a majority of the time the residents would like to speak out and have someone they can express their comments, queries and at times disappointments/hardships. ”

Why did you choose Swanborough?
“Central, accessible to a majority of the university facilities and buildings, and an en-suite study bedroom.I currently live in the same flat I did the previous year and it was completely coincidental and a pleasant surprise.”

What are your plans next year?
“I plan to return as an Alternate Senior RA and continue working with an incredible team and keep interacting with students from 100+ nationalities, backgrounds and multitude of cultures.”

“September marks my 4th year in Brighton, and I can’t really pinpoint a particular place, but I love the Laines. The bustling little streets with artisanal cafés, independent shops and people across the spectrum are what make my university experience unique and keeps things interesting. I couldn’t pick one place. Casablanca’s on Wednesdays for Live Music? Or maybe a comedy show at Komedia on a Saturday night?”

Oliver Harris (Brighthelm RA)

What have you learnt being an RA?
“The main things I’ve learnt from being an RA are conflict management and learning to appreciate that EVERY story has two sides to it.”

Why did you choose Brighthelm as the place you wanted to be a RA?
“Brighthelm has free washing machines, need I say more?”

What are your plans next year?
“Secure a Physics PGCE or a grad-scheme/job related to physics.”

Your weirdest experience as an RA?
“Seeing the residents I’m the RA for in a club/bar/pub and the look of shock on their face  when they realise that I have fun too.”

“The Haunt on Mondays, 5 bombs for £5. Risky business.”

Saravanan Satheesan (Lewes Court Senior RA)

What have you learnt being an RA?
“Being an RA has taught me a lot of skills which I will carry on throughout life. Whether its being able to meet and greet new people, or being able to mediate a stressful situation, the RA scheme has prepared me well. My fellow RAs and Managers are like a second family to me!”

What are your plans next year?
“I am a Law student and I have just been accepted on a training contract, so i’m starting my LPC.”

Your weirdest experience as an RA?
“The weirdest (funniest) experience as an RA has been when I got approached by a group of residents wanting to take a selfie, on a night out at Coalition. They seemed excited and amazed to see me. They ran up to me, saying, “You are on our fridge! You are on our fridge! You are our RA!” It was a fun experience, especially because I had my friends visiting from London, who thought I was a some celebrity.”

“It has to be ChoccyWoccyDoodah cafe. Its a relatively small cafe, which serves the biggest and most tasty desserts that I’ve ever come across. I’m such a regular that the staff know my order without me having to actually say anything.”