Things to look for when you’re searching for a student house

No, that mould should not be there

We’ve all been there. The new year comes out of nowhere and that fear of where you’ll live next year creeps in. The university talks begin. As a first year, you attend every one of them in the hope to get some knowledge of how to search for a house. As a second year, it’s possible to stay in bed that bit longer because you think you’re somewhat of an expert in house-hunting. As a third year, it’s a little exciting that you might end up at home where there isn’t one bit of mould in sight. I can say, as a final year, that it does get easier. But what do you actually need to look for in a student house?

Timing is everything

Don’t be those students who secure a house in January. Letting agencies don’t want you knowing this…but the best houses come on the market much later. So head back to your Netflix and Chill sessions.

Budgets are your friends

Before you even begin to look for the dream home that will be filled with games, candles, and that glorious alcohol, discuss a budget. Each year is harder than the last (thanks Mr Cameron!). There is usually someone who doesn’t speak up about their budget and ends up struggling for the next twelve months. Don’t be that person. Speak up. You have to live and survive. University is stressful enough without you struggling financially.

Mould. Mould everywhere. Don’t stand for it

Without a doubt, most houses have mould somewhere. Look out for it. Look in the top corners, bottom corners, behind the wardrobe, and even do a quick check behind the toilet. Most landlords, and letting agencies will throw a slab of paint of over it instead of spending a bit more to get rid of the problem. You wouldn’t accept it in the ‘real world’, so why accept now?

Make sure you don’t end up somewhere like here

More than one bathroom. Or a nice one at least

Think about it, you’re going to be in this house for 12 months or more, you want a nice bathroom or more than one. The one thing you really don’t want is to wake up for a 9am, needing a shower, and someone is on the toilet. It will cause arguments. And a nice bathroom is good, because who doesn’t want a nice bathroom?

Similar sized bedrooms are an absolute must

Getting similar sized bedrooms is difficult for students because houses are built weird, and landlords assume that students will take anything (for people in the student housing market, they don’t know much about students). If you don’t want to argue before you’ve even moved in together then bedrooms should be fairly equal so that all the take-away boxes, books and clothes can be splattered on the floor in a similar fashion.

For most, bedrooms are one’s sanctuary from the daily stress of student life, so you really don’t want tension in your household because someone got a box room when they were “taking one for the team”.

Pre-drinking heaven

I once said “we can’t live here, she’ll fall up the stairs drunk,” so think about nights out when viewing a place. Do you pre-drink in the lounge? Or the kitchen? Or somebody’s bedroom? If friends are usually hosts, then your pre-drink location is everything. You need enough room for everyone with furniture and speakers with a killer playlist. But you do get dibs on any alcohol left behind so that’s a bonus.

Location: The way to ensure relaxation

Location is important. You want to be close to town, close to food, close to uni, and close to a bus so you don’t have a to walk far. But it’s not possible to have it all. A nice house is guaranteed in Hove, which can be near a train station, or the god sent 25X. Or you can sacrifice the house, and be close to university to get 10 minutes longer in bed.

Student life is harder than it’s made out to be, I mean we have to actually look for a house every year, it’s hard stuff. But by following these points you can get it right and make sure you end up with an MTV-worthy crib.