Are there any benefits to going vegan for a week?

I might do it full-time now

The word “vegan” had always been one of those words I would hear about, but I never really gave much thought. Vegans were almost synonymous with mermaids: did these creatures actually exist? Where could I find them?

Then I came to Brighton and slowly, I have been exposed more and more to veganism. 2016 seems to be the year for vegans. More and more people are trying out the diet, probably because awareness of animal cruelty and the harsh realities of the dairy industry is being spread by documentaries like Cowspiracy. So, I thought, why not give veganism a go? Nothing bad could come out of it (although maybe some serious cheese cravings) and maybe I could learn a lot from trying out a vegan lifestyle for a week.

Day one

Soya milk represent

All my vegan shopping has been done. I hope the Tesco delivery man notices my soya milk and tofu, I am a healthy student now. Avocado and bean burgers are on the menu… so far so good.

Day two

I’m no chef but my falafel, hummus and butternut squash salad is looking – and tasting – pretty good. I’m left feeling like Gordon Ramsay. I also made a tofu curry and think I’ve got the knack of cooking tofu (it’s not easy), but already all I can think about it Domino’s pizza… why, brain, why?

Day three

Kind of hungry and tired today. I’ve discovered tofu and hummus sandwiches (gimme carbs and energy for christs sake). I have also discovered I am eating a LOT of tofu and hummus. Someone tells me there is egg in my bread, and after stressing me out it turns out there is not. I sigh with relief.

Day four

I’d like to thank Sussex university and Brighton for their alternative ways and for catering so well to vegans. Vegan cake? Yes pleaaase. It hasn’t felt difficult so far, but it’s been far too healthy for my liking.

Day five

The day of serious halloumi/mozzarella/pizza withdrawals.

Day six

All I want is soup, but apparently cream or milk are vital ingredients to any soup worth eating. I shall be writing a letter of complaint to Covent Garden soups…

Day seven

Final day of being vegan, but I am considering going full time vegan now after realising it’s not as difficult as I thought it would be, especially when you live in Brighton. When Brighton offers vegan pizza and vegan waffles it’s hard to find an excuse not to.

The word vegan has a lot of negative connotations unfortunately, not that I am surprised with the way some vegans go about their way of life (I’m looking at you, raw-til-4 nuts), however one vicious vegan shouldn’t put a generalization on all vegans. After this week I realised more things are vegan than I thought and the diet doesn’t have to be boring. Being at home with a bunch of non vegans or going out for meals with friends made me a bit of a hindrance at times: “Oh, but is there anything vegan there for you?” Most times there was, even if it was just a bowl of chips.

I would also like to think this has swayed some of my friends to think more about their diets and the animal products they eat too. I am not going to say GO VEGAN YOU CARNIVOROUS MURDERERS, because everyone is entitled to their own opinions and preferences, but I would say if you’re considering it (or even if you’re not) give it a go for sure. It’s never going to be easier than when you’re living in Brighton.