Library refurbishment on campus begins during exam period

Could there be a worse time?

Busy students may be better off studying at home, as Sussex Library undergoes noisy refurbishments this month.

Despite January being the one of the busiest months of the year for students, the top-floor study area is being refurbished to expand the library’s facilities.

Frustrated students will have to endure noise during the day at a time where most are busy revising for mid-term exams and meeting deadlines. The construction began this week and is expected to take around a month to complete.

One member of the library staff told The Tab that despite assurances “the surrounding silent study areas will not be affected”, the construction has been “disruptive and noisy”. Library staff have also confirmed that a number of new study ‘pods’ will be installed as part of the redecoration.

Many students have complained about the poor-timing of the project. One second year English Literature student said: “This could not have come at a worse time. My bedroom at home is tiny to study in, and now it’s harder to use the library as well.”

Yik Yak has also been blowing up with complaints.