We met the Sussex grad and second year behind SMASHBrighton

You should hear their catchphrase

Have you or your friends ever been overwhelmed by the sheer number of options for your night out? Or, do you just want to know what’s going on tonight? Well now you can find out, from the comfort of your home.

SMASH Brighton is Brighton’s one stop shop for everything you need to know about your night out. The website lists every club night, every day of the week and even tells you the genre of the night and how expensive it is.

If you still can’t decide where to go, use the SMASH random generator, a handy feature that does the choosing for you.

easy peasy

The site even has options for post-SMASH. There’s no longer any need to embark on a pilgrimage for cheesy chips at 4am. SMASH tells you which takeaways are open to fulfil your drunken needs.

Sussex Chem grad Andy Pennick, 23 and second year Computer Scientist David Attlee, 20, tell us more about the concept behind SMASH Brighton.

David and Andy

What is the goal of SMASH Brighton?

Andy: The goal of smash brighton is to revolutionise the way people actually plan and implement their night out. Rather than having to spend ages trawling through different websites trying to find out what’s going on where, it’s better to have the information all in one place.

In five minutes somebody can plan their entire evening, start to finish and actually get on with just enjoying themselves.

What inspired you to create the site?

Andy: About 4 years and 2 months of living in Brighton and loving Brighton’s nightlife, but never knowing exactly what was going on and getting frustrated and bored that it took me so long [to find somewhere to go] every single time and to plan everything that was going on.

Even with the time that I’ve spent here I could probably tell you about 10 things that are going on, but I guarantee you there are about another 15 that I wouldn’t be aware of.

Never miss a good night out again

Do you try and put everything that’s going on in Brighton on the site?

Andy: It’s targeted. The point is that it’s Brighton’s nightlife. But we try to keep it as comprehensive as possible. It tells you everything you’ll want to know about where you’re going.

I heard a rumour that you were going to put reviews on the website, is that true?

Andy: No. One of the points of it is the fact that it’s unbiased. It’s comprehensive, it’s unbiased, it’s free, and it’s easy. It’s a simplistic one stop solution. We felt that putting reviews on there, while it could help people decide where to go, at the same time, one bad review and you might miss out on something really good.

Where do you see the website in a year?

David: Within a year, the website will be exactly where we want it to be. There’s a lot of updates we want to get out, we’re hoping to have an app out by then. Hopefully long before then. And then we also intend to expand into different cities.

We don’t want SMASH Brighton just to be about Brighton, SMASH is transferable across the entire country. We want to expand, but we want to do it right in Brighton first. Once we have everybody that believes in what we’re doing, then we can move on and expand.

What makes you different to your competitors?

Andy: We don’t have competitors, interestingly. There are other people out there trying to do a similar thing, but nobody’s achieved it. It’s the idea of being comprehensive and being up to date every single day.

If you want to go and find a nice pub somewhere in Brighton, there are websites out there that lists the pubs, but they don’t tell you exactly what those pubs are doing every day of the week.

David: And you can even use the search features on the website, which makes it so much easier to find something that is tailored to you.

How many people does it take to create something like SMASH Brighton?

Andy: How many people has it taken so far? It’s been in development for a long time. There’s been a few line-up changes. At the moment it’s operating with a core team of 4 and about 3 or 4 people added on as our extended family.

We’re always looking to expand and for people to join the team. We’re currently looking for a business student with an interest in business law and someone to fulfil the social media manager role.

If there’s someone else out that who has an idea or thinks that they could bring something useful to the SMASH family, get in touch. Let us know, because we’d love to work with them.

And finally, do you have any advice for anyone planning a night out?

David: Smash it!

So if you’re looking for somewhere to go tonight, look no further than www.smashbrighton.co.uk and they’ll do the hard part for you. Just go out, have fun and smash it.