October highlights in Brighton

Hey Brighton, what’s good?

brighton student sussex university university of sussex

This is what you should be doing for the rest of this month.

Tonight: Secret Discotheque relaunches at the Haunt 

The cheesy pop night that you love to love returns. Expect your guilty pleasures from the 90’s, early 00’s hip-hop, and of course, recent pop smash hits. 5 bombs for £5 will also be on the playlist.

The Haunt hid 40 pink envelopes around campus earlier this week, each containing prizes including free entry for life, so you know they are serious about tonight.

Every week: Free Periods on Wednesdays

We all know that feeling of disgust when the cashier in Boots tells you that one pack of sanitary towels and one box of tampons total an amount that could get you at least 5 Tequilas in Casablanca. Thankfully, the SU are offering free sanitary products every Wednesday. Bloody brilliant.

Grab your free tampons, pads, and mooncups between 12pm and 2pm at Falmer House reception.

Every week: Midnight Funk Association at Patterns on Thursdays 

Patterns is one of the highest rated Brighton clubs on Google, and for a good reason.

Their new night, MFA, boasts £2 entry before 12 and funky fresh tunes from the likes of Marvin Gaye, The Jackson 5 and The Doors.

Every night also has a theme. You can find out more by clicking here. 

October 24th/ 25th: The Secret Festival 

This mysterious music festival hasn’t even announced their line up, but promises “to keep our ticket prices as absolutely low as possible for the public”, and will boast not only music, but “body and face art, henna, bespoke cotton candy, zine’s, visual arts and film, raffle, glow-sticks, balloons”. Watch this space.

October 25th: Oktoberfest at the SU

In partnership with the German Appreciation Society, the SU are putting on a beer and bratwurst themed extravaganza at Falmer Bar.

The SU has told us to expect ” Beer Barrel Rolling Competitions, Stein Holding Contests and our very own Sussex Oompah Band”.

Week 7: Reading Week 

The uni says it’s for catching up on reading. We say it’s an excuse to sleep in late, go on several big nights out, then go home for an extended weekend.

Thursday 5th November: Bonfire Night in Lewes

At Sussex, you must remember, remember, to wear some sensible shoes on November 5th. Every year, hundreds of students gather to take part in the iconic Falmer to Lewes walk.

Lewes boasts an unmissable bonfire parade, where burning crosses are brandished, fancy dress is everywhere, and effigies of Putin make an occasional appearance. The atmosphere is guaranteed to be buzzing, and street vendors boast mulled ciders and cheap beers. Not to be missed.