Coming soon to the AmEx Stadium: A £16m Hotel

The Amex is an iconic part of the campus skyline, and it’s set to get a swanky new hotel.

This month, Brighton and Hove Albion have requested planning permission for a swanky new 150-bed hotel next to the AmEx stadium in Falmer.

The hotel, which will be named ‘Brighton Aloft’, will double as a specialist cancer treatment and care centre.

It is estimated that 82 new, local jobs will be created as a result of the hotel build, and that the hotel will pump more than £5 million per year into the local economy.  At the moment, the stadium already generates a whopping £38 million in an average year, and has generated £46 million during this year’s Rugby World Cup weeks alone.

Speaking to Brighton and Hove News, a  spokesperson for Brighton and Hove Albion said: “(This hotel) will help Albion develop a stronger residential conference offering to help serve and increase the non-matchday business at the stadium.

It will also provide visitor accommodation for football supporters coming to matches and visitors to the two universities, serve those seeking access to the South Downs National Park and enable business travellers using the A27 to stay overnight without needing to drive into Brighton and Hove city centre.

If the building project goes ahead, guests could be enjoying the Brighton Aloft as early as 2017.