Top Brighton bars caught serving alcohol to children

Lola Lo and Club Revenge both failed a recent police investigation

Naughty bar staff at several top nightlife spots in Brighton have been caught by police serving alcohol to under-18s without asking for ID.

The investigation, conducted earlier this month by Sussex Police, sent 16-17-year-olds into several bars and clubs without any form of identification to try and buy booze.

While some bars, such as The King & Queen, passed the test and refused to serve the children, others including popular student bars Lola Lo and Club Revenge failed dismally.

As well as Lola Lo and Club Revenge, The Bulldog, The Blue Man and Hove bar The View were all guilty of serving alcohol to the undercover teenagers.

On the look-out for naughty under-age drinkers in Club Revenge

Gay bar The Bulldog was one of the venues caught serving underage customers

In response to the results of the investigation, Chief Superintendent and the commander of the operation in Brighton and Hove, Nev Kemp, said: “We are determined to crack down on those pubs, bars, clubs or restaurants who are willing to serve children. These venues must be aware they are not only putting children at risk, they are also putting their own livelihoods at risk as we may look for their licenses to be revoked.”

Despite threatening to revoke licences, Sussex Police have not yet decided what action to take against the offending venues.

When contacted by The Tab, The Blue Man said: “The staff member concerned has been re-trained and is gutted they made this error in judgement.

“In general, The Blue Man attracts an older crowd so it’s very unusual to have underage people coming into the bar unless they are eating with family. We are not in the habit of serving alcohol to children, as has been suggested in previous, sensationalist articles so we are grateful for the opportunity to comment.

“We will continue to monitor the situation as it is extremely disappointing and we are fully aware of our responsibilities and of the licencing objectives.”

The other clubs and bars in question could not be reached for comment.