Family of murdered Brighton Uni student Janet Miller pay tribute to their daughter

She was found dead in a burning car

noad

The family of an “inspirational” student found dead in a burning car have vowed not to rest until they find the truth about her death.

Janet Miller, 21, was alive in the boot of the Volkswagen Jetta when it was set alight and died of smoke inhalation, a post-mortem confirmed.

Firefighters extinguished the blazing vehicle, parked in a quiet county lane near a golf course, to find the grim discovery of the University of Brighton student on March 13.

Janet went missing from a mental health facility – Mill View Hospital, in Hove, East Sussex – and was discovered 22 miles away in Ifield, Crawley, less than 15 hours later.

Her family said in a statement on Monday: “Janet was a much loved daughter and twin sister and words can’t describe how much pain we as a family are in right now.

“She was always there for us and was someone that always made us smile and laugh no matter what.

“Janet was a very inspirational, passionate and caring person. Throughout her life she always cared deeply for her friends and family.”

Janet, who moved to the UK from Berlin, Germany, in 2012, had a history of mental health issues and was living in Eastbourne, East Sussex, while studying in the town’s University of Brighton campus.

Her family continued: “This tragic event has left a deep hole in the hearts of all that knew her. She will be deeply missed and always remembered for her energetic, fun, bubbly and vibrant personality.

“We are overwhelmed with the love and support that we have received from Janet’s friends worldwide. Janet would have been so happy knowing how much she was loved.

“We will never forget our beautiful girl and will work with the police to establish her last movements and why she was taken from us so cruelly. We won’t rest until we find the truth.”

Christopher Jeffrey-Shaw, 26, of Beckenham, south east London, handed himself in after a police appeal.

He was charged with murdering Janet and remanded in custody to appear at Guildford crown Court on April 9.