Desperate postgrad grovels for work impersonating Ricky Gervais… and gets a job

If I make them laugh along the way, sue me

You will never have another employee like him – Will Bower has a job after posting a video of him channelling David Brent on a recruitment website. 

Will, 21, who’s basically a chilled out entertainer, became famous online after he filmed a video impersonating the Brentmeister General looking for a decent job of work.

The Sussex grad struggled to find employment after graduating with a 2.1 in Business and Management Studies.

But after posting his video, a whopping 20 job offers flooded in – and now he has started his second week at a top London ad agency.

The video features some absolutely classic quotes, including:

• “Tip – let the companies come to you. Don’t go to the job, don’t go to the job. Naturally, gravitate, synergy.”
  • “Work is a way of life for me – it’s a religion. Christians, they pilgrimage to Lourdes, Muslims to Mecca, but me? To your desk. To my desk, in your building.”
  • “’I want to work for you. See you Monday, cheers.”

Will, from Crawley, said: “I’m now at a great company, it has a relaxed culture and it’s a good place to be. I’m working on big accounts and really enjoying it.

“I’m grateful to everyone for their support. I’m looking to work my way up in advertising now and to keep making videos.”

Will’s speech was picked up by the press and noticed by his idol, Ricky Gervais.

He said: “That was the highlight of the whole thing. I was getting excited with every article and the attention was snowballing, and then Ricky posted it on his Facebook. That was incredible.

“This is the pinnacle for me and it’s all downhill for me from here probably.”

After the success of his first video, QA Gateway, a grad scheme for tech jobs, paid him to make another.

It features an a cappella band with Will describing himself “a worldwide celebrity” telling viewers to use QA to find work.

In the video, he sells his integrity for an Xbox One and a band.

Apparently, a CV just isn’t going to cut it anymore. Will says you need to become a total sell-out in a cringe video and to tell people they “need training…like Anakin Skywalker.”

Responding to the many haters online that called him a “lackey”, “showy”, and an “idiot”, Will said: “You have to enjoy the video within the context of The Office.

“It was engineered to go viral and it wasn’t just to get what I wanted. I’m just playing a role.

“To be honest I thought I’d get a lot more negativity than I did.”

Will added: “Finding a job is very tough at the moment, there are thousands of graduates with similar degrees, so I had to do something different to get noticed.

“Thankfully my idea has paid off and I would encourage others to think outside the box to get noticed by employers.”

Will also makes comedy videos unrelated to the workplace, like this one about starting uni.