Sussex’s rugby boys react to LSE ban

Try and tackle this.

The University of Sussex Student’s Union men’s rugby team have published a statement on the disbanding of the LSE team this week.

LSE disbanded their male rugby club due to promotional flyers which they distributed at fresher’s fair containing misogynistic and homophobic content.

The ban is for the period of one year, which the USSU team hopes “serves as adequate time for LSE rugby to re-evaluate the attitudes that may exist within their club and they come back better for it “.

They said: ” The University of Sussex Men’s rugby team is deeply disheartened to hear about the events surrounding LSE men’s rugby team. This not only tarnishes the reputation of LSE men’s rugby but of all men’s ruby teams”

The offensive flyers deemed women “slags”, “mingers”, and “trollops”. It also referred to sportswomen as “beasts”, and warned potential team members that the club would not tolerate “poly” students or “homosexual debauchery”.

The LSE club has a dirty past, including members “blacking up” for nights out and ordering strippers to their end-of-year parties.

There were also reports of members being caught taking part in Nazi-themed drinking games which led to a Jewish student being injured.

The Sussex team was itself disbanded in 2013 due to causing £15,000 worth of damages on their tour bus. The ban, which was meant to last for two years, was reviewed this May, and the team were reinstated this September.

The team said that they “have taken several steps this year in an attempt to actively improve the tarnished reputation of both our university rugby team and all men’s teams.”

These steps include becoming involved in ‘I heart consent’ and ‘Good Lad’ workshops and supporting an LGBTQ anti-hate crime charity.

For more from The Tab, like our Facebook or follow our Twitter.