Ask Aunty AMY

Sussex’s very own agony aunt. Why figure out your own problems when AMY can do it for you?

| UPDATED agony aunt

Dear Aunty AMY,

At the beginning of uni I was living in East Slope but hated the atmosphere around there and found it difficult to be close with my flat mates so requested to be moved to Brighthelm, now I’m there me and another flat mate are on really bad terms and it’s impossible to live with her being so bitter towards me. I’m so upset but I really can’t request to move again, especially so close to the end of term, I’m just worried it will effect my studies..help?

Upset Brighthelmer, 18

Not getting on with flatmates is pretty much a right of passage when it comes to freshers year, moving from home into independence is a massive thing and there is bound to be conflict as people tend to be already quite set in their ways. Try taking her aside and just let her know how much she’s upsetting you and try to come to a civil agreement! If all fails report her for making a meth lab in her room or something…

Dear Aunty AMY,

My boyfriend and I have been together for almost 2 years however in September he went to Manchester uni and I came to Sussex. I’m seriously struggling with the long distance relationship thing and am terrified that he’s going to find someone else up there. We talk everyday but not seeing him is so difficult, what can I do?

Anon, 19

Going to uni is such a huge step especially in terms of relationships, where people decide to physically go separate ways and can put a strain both people involved. Truthfully, if you love each other enough you will always find a way to make it work. Does he feel the same way? Talking about it together is likely to bring you closer and help you empathise, see each other through Facetime ad Skype and by the time the holidays come around you’ll forget you ever even had doubts.

Aunty AMY,

Help me!! I went out for Fat Poppadaddy’s on Monday with my flatmates and a few of their friends and when we got back I slept with one of my flatmates! I’ve asked the boys and they think it’s hilarious but I need some serious advice and how to get over this awkwardness! I don’t think I like her like that and hopefully it’s not like that from her end but I’m cringing at the thought of facing ‘a conversation’, I don’t want to lose her as a friend but WHAT DO I DO?!

Awkward, 19

This is such a common problem in your first year, everyone is pretty much in the mindset of sleep with anything with a face, but it’s especially awkward if both of you ignore it afterwards. You have three options… Face it and make a joke with her about it, this could potentially overcome the awkwardness of the situation until both of you brush it under the carpet; go for it and make her your wifey; or sacrifice your education and run a fucking mile.

Got a problem? Need a shoulder to cry on or just fancy a good chin wag? Email me at [email protected] with a name, your predicament and your age

For more from the Tab, like our Facebook and follow our Twitter.