Every reason the University of Huddersfield is the best uni in the UK

Rugby League was born here

Hide Images

To kick it off, The University of Huddersfield is the most friendly, most dynamic place in the north where you literally can have the best of both worlds, a quiet life in the country side or a busy ‘in the now’ life of the bustling town centre. Being situated in one of the largest towns, The University of Huddersfield has got all you need to have a great university experience, and then some.

But let’s get specific, what makes that experience so great?

Living

Here at The University of Huddersfield there is a plethora of Student accommodation, from the fancy AF Castings, the quaint Snow Island to what is considered a rite of passage; Storthes Hall.

Storthes Hall is based on the site of an old mental institution so you can be sure you will fit in to the surroundings. Parts of the dilapidated building still stand in the surrounding Storthes Hall wood that are perfect for a late night campfire. But when you aren’t risking your life and stumbling around the woods or drinking in the onsite bar, you will be lighting up those groups chats trying to work out which block is to throw the party.

Attractions

Huddersfield is renowned for its natural beauty, just take a stroll up to castle hill and breathe in the fresh Yorkshire air and you will Zen out, if you can make it up those steps that is.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ-SLFyDqRl/

Or if hills don’t take your fancy, wonder along the canal that runs through the campus and the centre of town, if you walk long enough you might even stumble across Standedge tunnel, the longest canal tunnel in Britain.

The canal that runs through our campus

But if you just aren’t into the outdoors then why not jump on the train and get in to the crazy busy environment of Leeds or Manchester? Both are only half hour away.  As well as having all this natural beauty surrounding you, you also have an abundance of quaint coffee shops/big chain brands and cool indie bars to keep you entertained alongside the cinema and a two shopping centres that are full of the shops you love.

Huddersfield giants

Most Sundays you can bet that there is a game on in the John Smith Stadium- so don’t bother trying to drive through town as you will be met by scenes straight from the walking dead! But it’s no secret that the Rugby League was born here.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQ6GSEMDlpk/

Clubs and pubs

As mentioned previously Huddersfield is home to some great clubs and pubs, Vox bar, Tokyo and Mavericks to name a few. Huddersfield also boasts not one but  as two Weatherspoon’s. And our Student bar Warehouse which is a cool venue that looks straight out of Hollyoaks.

And, of course, you can’t forget Camel Club.

Everything is multiple here

In fact there are FOUR costa coffee shops, countless Merry England’s and a whole load of pound shops that help keep the shopping bill down.  We have two Sainsbury’s at the opposite ends of town (why not) and we also have two card shops, two Weatherspoon, three McDonalds, three KFC’s and two TK Maxx’s to name a few.  Literally, everything has a double (or more) that is situated in walking distance.

We are constantly updating

Back on campus, our new fancy AF Building is nearly complete, our new courtyard has just been laid down and expansion plans are already in talks. You can literally see where the £9,000 is going and we have free microwaves to use in the Su as well as multiple Starbucks outlets dotted around campus.

Artist Impression of the new building

The weather is not an issue

Being up north you can expect a diverse weather system, one day its cold, the next minuet it’s warm and then it’s snowing. A whole years’ worth of weather can descend on Huddersfield at any given point. But that will not stop us going out, we have our big coats.

Credit: Ray Morris

The people

Sure, you get the weird locals, the regulars that just seem to be everywhere, but life would not be the same without the lady who is always asking for 20p. The people are what makes Huddersfield the place it is. The mix of race and ethnicity is refreshing and welcomed here, in huddersfield you are just as sane as the next guy.

The fancy train station that welcomes you

Huddersfield is like a small city, not too big, not to busy but just enough to satisfy your need to be the independent adult everyone back home thinks you are. Also, has your university recently been in the news for a potentially revolutionary discovery of a new treatment for tumours…?

Featured image courtesy of James Cridland.