Uni staff are striking tomorrow, right in the middle of exam season

They’ll walk out for two days

Lecturers and uni staff are set to walk out tomorrow in the height of exam season in a row over pay.

Revision sessions, lectures, assignment marking and feedback and even exams could all be affected as strikes were announced for May 25th and 26th. Members of the University and College Union (UCU) want a higher pay offer than the 1.1 per cent increase they’ve been offered.

They have also decided to boycott marking students’ work in the autumn if no settlement over pay is reached.

The UCU also told The Tab it was possible exams would be affected. While invigilators ensure an exam goes smoothly, lecturers will not be able to provide advice or answer last minute concerns for those two days. Any coursework due back during the days after the strike could be delayed further.

They said the menial pay offer comes at a time when university leaders and Vice Chancellors are receiving pay increases of three per cent. The average VC’s pay stands at £270,000.

UCU general secretary, Sally Hunt said: “Members in higher education have sent a clear message to employers that, after six years of real-terms pay cuts amounting to 14.5 per cent, they will not tolerate a continued squeeze on their income. Industrial action which impacts on students is never taken lightly, but staff feel that they have been left with no alternative.

“A 1.1 per cent offer is an insult to the hard work and dedication of higher education staff, particularly in light of the 3 per cent average pay rise enjoyed by vice-chancellors this year. The employers need to come back to the table with a much improved offer if they wish to avoid significant disruption to students in the coming months.”

It is unclear how many lecturers will decide to join the strike, as the union has only announced the ballot today. Given the time of year, you’d hope they don’t join it.

The NUS will also support the strike.