How much you’ll be earning in 10 years according to your degree

It’s not good for arts students

New research further proves students who opt for science over arts subjects are likely to make more money in the long term.

The statistics, from academics at the Nuffield Foundation and the Institute for Fiscal Studies, have compiled research look at average salaries ten years on from graduation. They place Medicine at the top, with average salaries of £45k for women, and £55k for men, whilst creative arts students slumped with salaries of £14.5k and £18k, falling to the bottom of the list.

[infogram id=”lyoQ9DFCjgyRPXeC”]

Other notable aspects of the information include the highlighting of the gender pay gap, which shows men earn considerably more than women in every degree field except European Languages and Literature, including men who study Education making more than female Engineers.

The study used special access to tax-data, following students who graduated between 1998 and 2011,  and discovered that LSE graduates were the most lucrative, followed by Oxford and Cambridge grads, with LSE being the only university that can boast 10 per cent of male and female graduates making over £100,000 after 10 years.

Cambridge academic, and an author of the paper, Anna Vignoles, said: “The research illustrates strongly that for most graduates, higher education leads to much better earnings than those earned by non-graduates, although students need to realise that their subject choice is important in determining how much of an earnings advantage they will have.”

Leeds third year Emily Willson told The Tab: “This table makes me feel sad considering my degree is ‘mass communications’. It makes you wonder why we’re all paying the same fees when supposedly we’re going to end up worse off.”