One in 10 are denied extenuating circumstances for mental health

Some universities have turned down over 20 per cent of cases

A quarter of students with a mental health illness have applied for extenuating circumstances, but many say they were denied them by their university.

As part of The Tab’s mental health survey, we asked how many of you applied for extenuating circumstances because of a mental health illness.

Over 12,000 of you responded, many of you told us about your illness and whether your university gives you extenuating circumstances because of it.

Of the 5,000 respondents who are currently at university and have a mental health illness, 26 per cent said they had asked their university for extenuating circumstances for exams and assessments. Of that 26 per cent, 13 per cent said they were then denied it by their university.

In some universities the figure for denial was a lot higher such as Edinburgh having denied 22 per cent of people with mental health illnesses from getting extenuating circumstances.

Of the Russell Group universities, Belfast and Nottingham performed better in granting extenuating circumstances with only four per cent of respondents saying they were denied it.

[infogram id=”extenuating_circumstances”]