NUS bans left-wing anti-racism campaigner for being too racist

Nick Lowles had the audacity to condemn Islamist extremism

The NUS have banned an anti-racism campaigner banned from speaking at an event because his views are too extreme for the delicate minds of young students.

Nick Lowles, who set up the Hope not Hate organisation, has been no platformed for daring to speak out against Islamist extremism and grooming.

Hope not Hate countered the rise of the BNP in 2009, condemned the violent activities of anti-Muslim organisation such as the EDL and campaigned strongly against UKIP, but apparently its founder is still too Islamophobic.

While the NUS’ next move remains unclear, they will surely be set to no platform the prominent supporters of the organisation who spout its anti-racist rhetoric, which includes Lord Sugar, Eddie Izzard, Amir Khan, Paloma Faith and Dermot O’Leary.

Opposition to Lowles came from the NUS Black Students’ who campaign on “black representation, anti-racism and anti-fascism”, issues which are obviously threatened by the Hope not Hate founder.

The NUS has now become so detached from the views of the students it represents that it has started to stop people campaigning against the far-right.

Nick Lowles, who took to Facebook to slam the decision, said: “So it seems that NUS black students are opposing a plan to invite me to speak on an anti-racism platform because I’m ‘Islamophobic’.

“Never mind all the work HOPE not hate has done challenging anti-Muslim hatred, it seems that some ultra left activists believe I’m Islamophobic because I have repeatedly spoken out against grooming and dared to condemn Islamist extremism.

“I will be writing about this in more detail in the near future but for now I’m biting my tongue and trying to remain polite and professional.”

The NUS started its assault on leading campaigners earlier this week, after one of its officers accused Peter Tatchell, a champion of gay rights, of being racist and transphobic.