Does anyone really like grime music?

Just put Bieber back on

2015 was without doubt the year of grime music. Kanye West performed on stage at the Brits with 25 grime artists, a ‘Grime Symphony’ sold out the Royal Albert Hall and Drake got a BBK tattoo. Even privately educated Hector, with a signet ring could be found bombing ket off the keys to his parents’ West-London flat while enunciating the words to “That’s Not Me” in a perfect home counties accent.

Kitty, with her unwashed hair and Surrey post-code, wanted an excuse to dab MD with her mates after returning from Cambodia two years ago. And she’s found it.

But please answer me this, does anyone really like grime music?

Your Dad may drive a German whip and you may have once fallen asleep on the tube and woken up in South London, but man has not liked grime since day. Trust me Daddy.

I have certainly dipped my toe. I looked on eBay for Adidas bomber jackets after watching the video to ‘Shut Up’. I watched too many videos of Big Narstie talking about ‘tun tun’ and telling me not to fuck up the base. But that doesn’t make me want to don a £25 Ralph Lauren cap and rave into the small hours to D Double.

Grime’s new found popularity has a lot to do with being fundamentally British, but liking something just because of its local origin screams EDL rather than SBTV.

Is this really any better than when we all pretended to like house music? Lured in by Majestic Casual and their images of hot girls on sun drenched shores, dancing our jaws off while shazam-ing the DJs latest remix of Disclosure.

Let’s face it – we all claim to have liked grime music a lot longer than we have. But really, its just a way to forget that Daddy’s wages in the City paid for your ticket to Outlook festival.