A guide to Glasgow’s street art

Impress your new friends with your artsy knowlege

Street art in Glasgow is cooler than ever, and with arty colour explosions popping up all over the city, you need to know the ins and outs. Local artists Rogue One and Sam Bates gain more and more attention in the street art universe with every piece painted, cementing Glasgow as a massive player in the UK scene. And to get you up to date, The Tab has put together a perfect sightseeing route.

The Merchant City

When it comes to sprawling rainbow murals, the Merchant City is where it is at. Take a walk through this hotspot and stumble across works better than Banksy’s.

Ingram Street car park has been growing over the years and is now a must see exhibition showcasing local work focusing on realistic images. The huge piece below often referred to as “the big boots” debuted at the Merchant City Festival 2013 and has been a tourist staple ever since.

Masterpiece by local artist Sam Bates on the edge of Argyle Street

The City Centre

Lose yourself in works commissioned by Glasgow City Council within the heart of the city. Start off on Argyle Street and watch elephants, bears and zebras sip pints at the bar in this life sized mural. However, with plans to demolish the grade-B listed building in motion you better get out now to avoid disappointment.

You can then head towards the river and hunt down the The Tiger located next to the suspension bridge on South Portland Street. Created by John McFaul in 2010 to celebrate the Chinese New Year and sponsored by Tiger Beer, it’s a perfect reminder to neck a pint.

Other highlights include the recent addition of the Clutha wall – a memorial to the lives lost in the tragic helicopter accident.

Animal mural on Argyle Street

The Tig

Huge display at the City of Glasgow college

Clutha pub mural memorial of the tragic helicopter accident and lives lost

The Strathclyde Campus

But as with most things, Strath does it best. A simple walk around campus will satisfy your street art needs forever. Bursting across the grey buildings at Graham Hills and The Liv Tower, these works celebrate all the creations and research garnered by Strathclyde students throughout the last 50 years since gaining university status. The #StrathWonderwall even features gigantic Doctor Who daleks.

The Strath wonderwall

Cheeky wee lecture at Graham Hills

… and the unidentified object

Who says Strathclyde isn’t a creative uni?

Keep Exploring

These are just a handful of creations in Glasgow. If you are still thirsty for more, there are loads of destinations left worth visiting. Venture East into Dennistoun and discover The Tennents Brewery, or stray West to Kelvingbridge and Cowcaddens for more street art wonders. And Glasgow, keep colouring.