From Òran Mór and King Tut’s to QMU: Glasgow’s edgiest gig venues

For when the ABC just isn’t enough

abc barrowlands concerts edgy venues glasgow gigs king tuts live music o2 academy oran mor sse hydro the city halls venues

Glasgow is known as one of the most cultured cities in the world of performing arts with an extraordinary wealth of gig venues.

Big places like the O2 Academy, ABC and Hydro regularly host the biggest names in music to sold-out crowds, yet there are many places you may not have heard of.

Here are some venues where you will have unforgettable nights and the chance to see both exciting up-and-coming acts and established favourites.

The Barrowlands

The Barrowland Ballroom, around for 80 years, has become world-famous after holding concerts for the likes of Oasis, The Clash and The Smiths.

It can’t be missed, situated right in the heart of the Gallowgate, with the unique illuminating neon sign perhaps the biggest in Europe.

Recently it has hosted Glasgwegian bands Chvrches and Mogwai with acts as big as HotChip and Of Monsters and Men to play soon

Next to the Ballroom is Barrowland Park, where a path features the names of many artists that have played over the years.

The City Halls and Old Fruitmarket

Home to the BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra, The City Halls shares its grand entrance in Merchant City with The Old Fruitmarket.

Until the 70s it was a marketplace for people buying fruit and veg, but it’s now a function suite for ceilidhs, fashion shows and concerts.

The rustic wooden domed-roof is brilliantly lit up with colour during performances.

The venue is widely known for its great acoustics and can hold over 1500 people standing. Plus with a grand selection of bars and restaurants in the area, the Old Fruitmarket has absolutely everything you want.

The Vaccines lighting it up

The Queen Margaret Union

The QMU was founded in 1890 as the Women’s Union for Glasgow University.

Music was always a key form of entertainment in the Union, and during the 60s it became renowned as a place for discovering new music and artists.

In 1979 the Union welcomed men to join and since then huge acts like Queen, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Nirvana have all performed.

The QMU is a smaller venue but still has seating at the back and several bars dispersed around with a personal and mellow feel.

‘Peace’ at the QMU

King Tut’s Wah Wah Hut

Named after a New York comedy and music club in the 80s, King Tut’s is an archive of famous musicians who played here early in their careers.

When you walk in you’re welcomed into the small and cosy bar then at the back you’re met by stairs which invite you into the living-room sized space giving performances a very intimate texture.

Artists as big as Blur, Coldplay, The Strokes and many more performed in King Tut’s when they were trying to make it big in the industry.

As well as giving new kids on the block a chance, bigger bands like The Fratellis and Spektor are performing later this year.

Dan Croll and his band playing at Tut’s

Òran Mór

Formerly Kelvinside Parish Church, Òran Mór opened in 2004 as a place for performing arts and now holds the Glasgow Awards title: Best Live Venue 2015.

‘The Venue’ in Òran Mór is the hall used for all live concerts. Artists such as Amy Winehouse and – the boys themselves –  The Proclaimers, have performed here.

Up-and-coming Scottish bands such as Lemonhaze and Revolving Doors are to play there later this year.

With a capacity of around 500 people, Òran Mór  has the same kind of intimate vibe as King Tut’s, however the renovated church is slightly more charismatic and unique to your usual concert hall.

It still retains a gothic style with stained glass windows and pillars surrounding the hall.

So, if you’re looking to experience new music in an alternative venue to your usual, check the listings for upcoming events in some of these places

From great acoustics and distinctive décor to brilliant unknown bands and next big things, you won’t be disappointed.