NUS Executive fawns over now-disgraced Tower Hamlets Mayor Luftur Rahman

Haven’t you heard the news mate?

Politically switched-on NUS officer Aaron Kiely will have a red neck today as Luftur Rahman has been shamed for bribery and electoral fraud.

The London Met student stuck up for the Ex Tower Hamlets MP in an impassioned speech at an event: “Defend Democracy in Tower Hamlets” last November.

Tinpot-tyrant Mayor Luftur Rahman was found guilty yesterday by the Electoral Commission of bribery and electoral fraud among other serious offences.

Rahman, of the Tower Hamlets First Party, was also found guilty of wrongfully defaming the Labour candidate John Biggs as a racist and Islamophobe.

Commissioner Richard Mawrey said he had “driven a coach and horses through election law” and that he had played “race” and “religious” cards.

Progressive politico Kiely, in his best voice-of-the-people-voice, said: “Anyone who calls themselves a Democrat should be totally with the administration here in Tower Hamlets.”

“I also want to be clear that Luftur has the support of Black students across Britain too, and we oppose the Islamophobia that is so clearly being whipped up in this borough.”

“Contrary to the lies and smears, Luftur is at the forefront of an administration that is delivering for the many in Tower Hamlets.

Speaking on behalf of us all, he continued, “Students and young people support Luftur because of his record in championing us. Not only does the council champion the real diversity of multicultural Tower Hamlets, but it stands up to all forms of racism.”

The election was replete with widespread allegations of fraud and foul play, with eight police investigations launched in the aftermath.In June of 2014 Police in Tower Hamlets found a “car boot full of postal vote applications” after stopping a vehicle.

Rahman was ordered to pay £250,000 in costs after four voters brought the case against him for “corrupt and illegal practices” in last May’s election.

Tower Hamlets First said: “The Mayor strongly denies any wrongdoing and has full confidence in the justice system and so this result has been surprising to say the least.”

In the end, defender-of-democracy Kiely pledged NUS support to a ramshackle quasi-dictatorship, taking allegations of “lies, smears and Islamophobia” at face value.

One hopes the NUS will be more discerning in the future.