World’s luckiest drug dealer gets off scot free after Stirling court confusion

The same mistake was made TWICE

court criminal drink driving drugs stirling

A bumbling error in scheduling meant two men walked free from Stirling Sheriff court without being sentenced.

Gregor Bain, 17, who pleaded guilty to charges of dealing cannabis and LSD to multiple customers was able to walk free because his sentencing was taking place four weeks after conviction.

Bain’s solicitor, a regular Saul Goodman, said that the case would have to be dismissed as “incompetent” because Bain was brought back to court for sentencing four weeks and one day after conviction.

The two men were able to leave court without punishment

George Pollock – representing Bain – cited the legal rule that sentencing a criminal outside the four week period was in breach of the 1995 criminal procedure act. Meaning his client could walk without punishment.

Calum Grieve, 26, was also able to walk free after an identical error was made. Grieve, who admitted to failing to provide two specimens of breath on suspicion of drink driving, was also able to walk free after his lawyer cited the same law.

Grieve was disqualified from driving from the moment he pleaded guilty, and was also told of his sentencing: “The case has fallen, but your conviction still stands.”

A spokesman for the Scottish Court Service said: “The conviction against both accused will remain on their records. Despite system safeguards being in place, human error contributed to the sentencing hearing delay on this occasion.

“This is an exceptionally rare occurrence and we are reviewing our training to reduce any future risk.”