Stirling uni blast ‘racist’ football teams and launch investigation

They’re not happy

football team racism stirling Stirling Uni

After Thursday’s events, the University of Stirling has issued a statement in which they reveal they have suspended four football teams “from all football activities, including matches” until they have completed their investigation.

The African Cup of Nations-themed social saw the mens football team black-up as they went out for a night on the town.

Their actions were met with criticism from both locals and students. In Stirling’s response, they confirm that they “are committed to promoting equality and diversity” and ensure that an investigation is underway.

Along with blacking up, video footage appears to show individuals from the team angrily confronting locals who were condemning their behaviour.

The events come over a year from the Busgate scandal.

In his statement, deputy principal Professor John Gardner said: “the University treats issues relating to racism with the utmost seriousness”.

Although the University highlights the fact that only a few members have tarnished the university’s reputation, they enforce their message that a “full investigation is underway” and that any participants will be punished by their “disciplinary action”.

The whole statement can be read here.