Performance problems: Stirling fails environment and ethics report

Uni chiefs scored zero for worker’s rights

campus environment ethics failed last League Tables people and planet stirling university

Stirling uni bosses have received a “Fail” grade in a recent report on their ethical and environmental performance.

Student network “People & Planet” compiled a comprehensive league table of UK Universities ranked by their performance in terms of environment and ethics.

Not a great start to the year for Stirling Uni chiefs

The league table ranked Stirling at a lowly 141 out of 151 Universities nationally, it also came out of the report as the worst ranked Scottish University for environment and ethics.

Stirling in the national table

The rankings are generated by the University answering a set of questions about their environmental and ethical policy, based on their answers they are then given a score out of 100 by an independent panel. Stirling scored 21.4 per cent, a fail.

Not a great start to the year

Whilst Stirling Uni scored some points for environmental awareness, the University’s main letdown was it’s ethical policy. Embarrassingly, Stirling received a score of zero for both “worker’s rights” and “ethical investment”.

The study comes amid growing demands from students including Stirling’s own SSP society for the University to shape up its shoddy treatment of staff.

Stirling’s poor score in environmental policy and ethical categories meant the University received the lowest rank in Scotland

A spokesperson for Stirling University said: “A significant number of universities chose not to participate in last year’s Green League because of concerns about whether the process properly reflected environmental performance.

“For those universities who did not submit a response, including the University of Stirling, their position in the People and Planet’s league table is based on data available from routine returns made to the Higher Education Statistics Agency (HESA).

“The information held by HESA accounts for around a third of the data used by People and Planet to assess universities.”