We’ve hunted out the best food on campus

This is very important

| UPDATED campus eat food stirling students university

There’s no doubt that there’s plenty of choice on campus, but is any of it actually good?

The union itself offers a decent selection of food from pizzas to wraps and all for round about a fiver.

A burger is always a good shout for those post-Dusk hangovers, just as long as you’re still drunk enough to lose your sense of taste

But students aren’t impressed. Third year accounting student Andrew Keith said: “I used to come here quite a lot but the union’s food has really deteriorated within the last year or so, the pizzas are alright but that’s about it.”

Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

The nachos aren’t a far cry from eating crushed glass

The Cottrell building also boasts Haldane’s eatery which has a different menu every day, offering a salad bar and carvery along with other main meals.

Haldane’s boasts a significant jump in quality from the Union, and what student doesn’t enjoy a good pile of dinner after a day of lectures?

The roast turkey dinner from Haldane’s tastes great, even if it is shovelled onto your plate…

Regular visitor and third year sport studies student Christopher Addison said: “Haldane’s has a reasonable enough selection of food and tends to be fairly good, although it could be slightly cheaper. Over £5 for food and a drink for students is quite pricey.”

For those who spend their days lamenting their arts degree in Pathfoot there is always the option of getting comfort food in the canteen there, which has a similar selection to Haldane’s eatery.

Third year student Sarah Young said: “The chilli there was actually pretty decent on a baked potato and I have had their soups which are usually good. Can’t really go wrong with soup though!”

If you’re trying to save the pennies and take your own food with you to Pathfoot though don’t expect them to be happy about it, Sarah added: “They charge 15p to use their cutlery unless you buy from the premises which is ridiculous!”

The best food on campus is over at Willow court- in the brasserie Refresh. Opened last year it has a slightly more expensive and fancy menu than anywhere else but that doesn’t bother most.

Students feel the slightly higher prices at Refresh are justified by the quality

Third year law student Michael Gullion said: “I know it’s a bit more expensive but the food is really good, especially the burgers. They have a great selection of beers too which helps!”

Refresh also boasts international dishes

Despite this some feel Refresh is let down by its location. Third year Journalism student Harry Stewart said: “Refresh is great but in the wrong location, it would benefit us a hell of a lot more nearer the main campus buildings, and would help them make more money.”

Refresh manages the miracle of making student food both tasty and presentable

So there you have it. Despite a dodgy location Refresh is the place to eat on campus even if you do have to spend a few extra quid.

And if you’re not in the mood to sit down, there’s always the union shop…