Prospective students fear Stirling’s rising halls prices

This is your punishment for being ‘aspirational’

beech campus campus services complaints Geddes halls Murray halls residential services stirling students university willow court

Current and future students at Stirling uni are speaking out against the inflated accommodation prices.

But uni officials say the new halls will better fit freshers’ “aspirations”.

Geddes court is set to be demolished next summer, which will make the cheapest accommodation on campus £372 per month. Some halls like Beech and Willow are charging as much as £524.

University accommodation has been overhauled in the last 2 years

Despite complaints from prospective students and even an open letter to Principal Gerry McCormac, the university claim the ongoing upgrade of the University’s campus residences is necessary to meet students’ needs.

17-year-old Becca Stewart hopes to join Stirling next year, but struggling to find funds has made her less enthusiastic to start university: “To be honest, if it wasn’t for the fact that the university does the course I want, I think I would have considered other universities much more closely.

“I don’t understand how people can expect students to pay that kind of money when the whole point of university is to find a career or job?”

She added: “It’s only been a few years since my brother started there and it’s a real shame that I’m having to pay as much as £1000 more than he did.

“I think the uni will find that people will be taking the same approach as me, and considering other universities that were never considered before.”

Geddes is the last of the reasonably priced accommodation, and is set to be knocked down this summer

Karen Plouviez, Director of Estates & Campus Services, told The Tab: “Rent levels are reviewed by the University each year in common with other universities. A key factor in our review process is a comprehensive analysis of the rents being charged by other Scottish universities, campus based universities across the UK and private sector landlords in the local area.

“It was recognised that the accommodation did not meet the aspirations of today’s students. By funding this development, the University is indicating its commitment to providing top quality residential facilities for its students which match those found elsewhere.

“The intent is to continue to provide a range of accommodation and a choice of rental levels so that students have choices on type and cost of accommodation.”

Karen claims the new accommodation will provide a variety of “rental levels”, with at least one affordable accommodation option for those struggling financially, but most students are challenging this.

There have been concerns that the new pricey accommodation on offer at Willow and Beech court have been pricing some prospective students out of higher education

Paige Widdowson, first year Modern Languages and Business student said: “The difference in price between Geddes and the new buildings is crazy. Like, it’s hundreds of pounds.

“There’s no way I could afford that. It’s worrying that future students won’t have the option of Geddes or other cheaper accommodation.”

Some students won’t be able to afford the new pricey accommodation without significant help from the bank of dad

And first year History and Education student, Megan Thomson, agreed with Paige: “Unless you’re getting substantial help from your parents, I’m sure very few people can afford the prices of Willow or Beech.

“If the uni continue to knock down the cheaper buildings to put up these really expensive new ones, then some people won’t live in halls, or even come to Stirling, cause they just can’t afford it.”

Students have made their concerns clear on the matter, but the university will continue to undergo its campus renovation regardlesss.