SSP blasts Stirling Principal in open letter

Gerry McCormac is under fire again

| UPDATED Gerry McCormac redundancies SSP staff stirling students university

The Scottish Socialist Party society has written an open letter to Principal Gerry McCormac demanding an explanation of the University’s spending priorities. 

The letter presses the Principal to explain a number of recent University actions, including staff redundancies, accommodation costs rising, and the £138,000 refurbishment of McCormac’s home and gardens.

The SSP society believe Stirling University need to set a standard

And the letter, which is signed by Stirling SSP secretary David Mundt, says: “It is believed that fourteen members of staff have either been made redundant or have voluntarily accepted a redundancy package.

“We believe that students should be informed and consulted on any proposed job cuts as this may have a direct impact on either education, or accommodation service.”

When asked what he thinks of Gerry McCormac getting a pay rise as staff cuts continue, David said: “I think it’s absolutely ridiculous. Gerry McCormac lives in- dare I say it- luxury.

“Whilst regular staff are worried about their jobs and how they are going to support their families.”

Our artists impression of Gerry McCormac, sitting pretty with his £205k salary

The letter also addresses the rising cost of campus accommodation at Stirling. With Geddes Court set to be demolished next summer, the cheapest accommodation at Stirling will be £372 per month, with some halls charging as much as £524- pricing many students out of University accommodation.

Geddes is set to be demolished this summer

David, who studies second year Sociology, said of the rising costs: “The university could have quite easily refurbished and modernised all of the old halls at a lower cost than building new ones.

“They seem to be intent on creating a five star establishment- which is great; ambition is important- but the students that come here shouldn’t have to pay five star costs. It really raises the question is further and higher education really free in Scotland?”

There are concerns that halls like Beech Court are pricing some students out of higher education

The SSP’s letter concludes by asking Principal McCormac to justify the £138,000 refurbishment of his swanky University property “at a time when the University faced a £1.4m deficit”.

Now secretive Gerry McCormac doesn’t want us seeing the refurbished property, but The Tab has uncovered images from 2007 of the residence.

Stock photos of the property from 2007 are available online

Everything you could need

Talking about the message to McCormac, David Mundt said: “This letter is simply an opportunity for senior management at the university to come forward and actually engage in dialogue with students and regular staff.

“Hopefully it can be productive.”

Stirling’s PR office, who initially agreed to provide comment on the concerns, responded: “Sorry, but we won’t be able to provide comment on this after all.”