Union welcomes gender neutral toilets

‘It’s about letting everyone pee peacefully’

| UPDATED gender neutral LGBT stirling university student union

Progressive union bosses have passed a motion to implement gender neutral toilets on campus.

The motion was passed at the “Stir it up” meeting for those “who do not conform to traditional, binary, gender norms”, according to the meeting’s notes.

Stirling University is well known for its equal opportunities

Jenny Lester, the fourth year student who proposed the idea, said: “Obviously I’m elated that the motion has finally passed. It’s been a long time coming.

“The introduction of non-gendered facilities is an important step for the union in recognising students of non-binary gender identities and helping them to use the bathroom without fear of embarrassing questions, harassment or worse, physical abuse.”

When asked about the possibility of the motion making more people feel uncomfortable, Jenny said: “The motion recognises that not everyone is comfortable using gender neutral toilets, just like not everyone is comfortable using gendered toilets. This is just about giving everyone an extra choice, and letting everyone pee peacefully.”

The Union agreed with Jenny’s sentiments, noting in the meeting that: “Everyone has the right to feel safe in entering a toilet.”

Binary toilets are a thing of the past

The uni currently offers female, male and disabled toilets, but the Student’s Union are keen to introduce gender neutral toilets to better achieve their equal opportunities policy.

Student reaction to the development is mixed. Bethany Jamieson, a third year Primary Education student, said: “That’ll not end well if boys and girls are using the same toilets.”

Bethany, who is a self confessed sufferer of stage fright, continued: “I’d end up holding it in until I could get home and pee in peace.”

For some, the stress of gender neutral toilets may be too much to take

James Gray, a third year Psychology student at the University, said of the motion: “Sounds like they are just trying to be politically correct- I can see it being uncomfortable for many people.”

The meeting ended with the Union resolving to research possible locations for the new toilet facilities and to front the minimal costs for the project, such as changing the signs on existing loos.