Independence campaign still making noise in Stirling

Let it go

Independence politics referendum stirling 45 stirling university students

It’s been one month since Scotland decided to remain in the United Kingdom, and yet the argument for Yes voters remains very much alive.

Despite 60 per cent of Stirling voting No to Independence, Stirling Students for Independence continue to keep the debate alive both on and off campus.

Stirling students for independence are keen to keep the debate alive despite the no vote

The group’s convener Chris Lynch said: “There was a suggestion the pro-independence movement could die out after the referendum but we had about 30 people at our AGM which was great.

“We had to go and print off more ballot papers for the committee elections, it was a huge boost for us.

“The passion and energy to see the continuation of the society on campus makes the future prospect of independence really promising.”

Chris feels the large turnout at the Society's AGM is a boost for the prospect of future independence

Chris feels the large turnout at the Society’s AGM is a boost for the future prospect of independence

The Primary Education student is keen to keep people interested in the debate: “Our goal now is to engage with students as much as possible and we are keen to try and get as many people involved as possible, no matter how they voted or any political affiliation they may have.”

The group has also given its backing to the newly formed Stirling 45 group which is looking to engage with the greater Stirling community and gauge the appetite for a renewed campaign.

The very imaginative 45 movement's logo

The very imaginative 45 movement’s logo

The group’s temporary co-spokesperson and Stirling student Dave Mundt said: “We intend to hold a public meeting in the near future and are planning a rally in Stirling.

“We need to stress the importance of continuing a national movement for independence and to really keep the fire burning.”

Dave is keen to keep the Yes "Fire" burning

Dave is keen to keep the Yes “Fire” burning

The 45 group has been set up by students but the plan is to hand the group over to the general Stirling community and have locals running it by December.

The 19-year-old said: “It’s a great chance for students to integrate with the Stirling community as at the moment there is a sense of an us and them attitude between students and locals.”

What did you expect from a City where the main attraction is the "Wallace monument"?

What did you expect from a City where the main attraction is the “Wallace monument”?

“Once the group is handed over and has an organised committee it would be great to see continued student support and hopefully there will be student representation at committee level.”

So there you have it. We really are never going to hear the end of it.