Stirling blasted for expensive Women In Sport conference

‘We’re celebrating women, it shouldn’t cost so much money’

| UPDATED Andy Murray conference Eilidh Child gender equality Judy Murray sports stirling Stirling Uni student union women in sport

Angry students have condemned the Women In Sport conference for its ridiculously high entry prices.

A student ticket cost £15 for the day, and a non-concession cost a staggering £40.

And students have condemned the cost. Cheerleading captain Alison Reid said: “I watched Eilidh Child’s race at the commonwealth games during the summer and it would have been good to hear her give a talk but not at £15 unfortunately.

“And I think £40 for the basic ticket is very expensive, more than a concert ticket!

“In the end the entry fee let them down a bit I think.”

The conference was aimed at promoting gender equality in sport

Our Student Union co-hosted the conference with Sports Scotland at the Macrobert.

The aim of the conference was to discuss how to better empower women in sport and promote equality “through building positive identities and relationships”.

Cheerleading captain felt the costs would be unappealing to students

But some have insisted the pricing of the conference only promotes gender inequality. Third-year English student May Clark said: “It costs money to promote women in sport? Would it be the same for a guy in sport?

“We’re celebrating women, it shouldn’t cost so much.”

Concerns about entry fees weren’t limited to women. Basketball captain James Williamson said: “I’m happy the uni hosted this conference as gender equality in Sport is an important issue to debate.

“However, I think it’s important to set the right price for these events due to their importance. If the price is too steep, it will put people off. In my opinion, £40 is a bit much.”

James’ sentiments were echoed by Ladies Hockey President Robyn Blair. She said: “I do think £15 is quite expensive, I feel that for anyone who didn’t know much about it and wasn’t overly fussed about it the price would be off-putting.”

But she appreciates Stirling is attempting to effect change: “I feel it was a great thing for Stirling to host, it was nice to see the spotlight focusing on achievement by female sporting professionals and to help promote female participation and progression throughout the university.

“It was also great seeing so many people attend from both genders to show support.”

Robyn Blair was happy that the event put the spotlight on women in sport

Speakers at the conference included tennis coach Judy Murray, Commonwealth games silver medalist Eilidh Child and Shona Robison MSP, the Cabinet Secretary for Sport.

Judy Murray said at the conference: “It’s a great thing. It’s young people realising the importance of getting more women involved in sport at all levels and areas.

“It’s not just about getting more active, it’s about getting more female coaches, referees, administrators and decision makers at the top of sports in order to make more things happen for women.

Judy argued we need to get more women involved at coaching level

“We are very much outnumbered in all areas of sport. Of course my area is coaching, but I would say at the top end of the game we’re outnumbered nine or ten to one by male coaches.

“We have to work hard to make sure there are more women competing and we need to raise the levels as well. We can only do that, if there are more coaches and more kids playing.”

Judy and  Andy Murray have received honorary degrees from Stirling

Eilidh Child, who won silver at the Commonwealth Games this summer, said: “We’ve seen so many inspirational performances from female athletes in the last few years but it’s not just about winning medals.

“Sport can be hugely empowering for women of all ages and can act as a vehicle for positive body image, diversity and equality which is so important.”

Standard tickets would set you back a massive £40