Will Union bring back Mandela tribute?

Scrapped policy could make fitting memorial

| UPDATED nelson mandela stirling bridge stirling students union stirling university

Stirling University could honour Nelson Mandela in the wake of his death — if the union brings back a scrapped policy

The policy to name the link bridge ‘The Neslon Mandela Bridge’ was amongst those lost during Stirling Students Union President Johannes Butscher’s scrapping of over 300 outdated policies. 

Views to Wallace Monument make the bridge a great campus landmark

The proposal to rename the bridge was originally carried out in 1987. However, the university failed to erect notices on either side of the bridge stating the name change. Since then, the change in name has not been chased up by the University or the Students Union.

The bridge in question runs over Airthrey Loch — a central piece to Stirling University. Having been repainted in the past year, it is known for its views towards the Wallace monument and Dumyat Hill.

Mandela is seen throughout the world as the symbol of racial equality with the work he achieved in the resistance against apartheid. Scotland and this internationally mourned hero share a close bond, with Glasgow being the first city in the UK to offer Mandela the Freedom of the City in 1981, while he was still imprisoned under the apartheid regime.

Seems a fitting tribute to a globally iconic figure

The union has a long history of supporting Mandela’s politics, as shown by another policy from 1987 which states they will support African National Congress in any way possible

With the Students Union stating that policies could be brought back if required, it is thought that the University could pay tribute in this way.