SUDS Comedy Festival review

Two and a half hours of hit student comedy

Two men in their boxer shorts – if it weren’t for the laughter, you might not think it was a SUDS performance.

In a sketch about a simple deal that goes wrong Robbie Maltman and Ross Menzies strip to just their boxers.

The drama society’s latest comedy festival was on last night in the MacRobert.

With tickets costing only £5 and the drama society’s reputation of quality performances, it was no wonder the venue was sold out and some hopeful latecomers were left without a place. However, the audience that did manage to buy tickets – consisting of students, the public, and even Student Union president, Johannes Butscher – were not left disappointed.

The idea of SUDS’ Comedy Festival is a 2.5 hour group of comedy sketches that can be written by anyone who wants to. As expected there were a few sketches that could have been written differently to make more sense, but that was made up for with the quality of acting. What is sure is that every single sketch made the audience laugh.

The variety of the sketches ranged from parodies of Disney to the judges of the “Y” Factor. Most were carefully planned and everyone knew their cues, but when they went wrong and improv came into play the sketches were just that tiny bit sweeter! It’s difficult to determine which performances were the audience favourites as everyone finds humour in different places. Though, personally, my favourite was the last sketch in which two pianists, David Devereux and Stuart Cormack, battle it out on imaginary pianos, I’m sure anyone who attended will agree that every single act was brilliant. Disappointingly I am too hungover to remember and mention every single act but what I will say is next year I will be back for more laughs and generally a good night!