Hangover breakfast: Frankie & Benny’s

We’re sending Alison Gilchrist around Stirling to find the best place to get a breakfast when you wake up feeling sorry for yourself. This week, she tries Frankie & Benny’s.

| UPDATED hangover breakfast

Frankie and Benny’s, part of the Forthside development, should have all the elements to provide a perfect breakfast. The menu promises such delights as Eggs Benedict, a triple pancake stack, and the big breakfast – for £5 each.

Walking in, the setting is perfect for a sore head. The dark cosy interior provides solace from the reality of the outside world, and you might even get seated in a relatively secluded booth for added calm. The music, in keeping with the restaurant’s faux-retro Italian-American stylings, is not likely to cause much of a headache, either.

Eggs Benedict: “hollandaise was watery”

The menu suited my craving for salty, gluttonous food. Ordering Eggs Benedict and the bacon and syrup pancake stack I was terribly disappointed. It all looked nice enough but the hollandaise was watery and my poached eggs far to soft for my, or most people’s, liking.

Pancake stack: “like chewing a tyre”

The bacon and syrup pancake stack looked great, however the pancakes were like chewing a tyre, a pretty strange texture for something that I assumed would be a fluffy sumptuous buttermilk pancake. The syrup was delicious – but I doubt that was homemade – and, well, you can’t really go wrong with bacon.

Unlimited coffee: no complaints

I added unlimited tea and coffee to my order for an extra £1.50 for the energy boost, and then got through three cups of coffee to get my money’s worth.

The service was great, but it’s shame the food didn’t match. Don’t waste your pennies, fellow students.