St Andrews in Tier 2 with 154 students currently in isolation

There are currently 24 confirmed cases at the university

In an email this morning, Principal Sally Mapstone announced 22 students and two staff members self-isolating after receiving positive Covid results.

This brings the total confirmed cases since September to 83 with 154 students currently isolating because they have been in contact with someone who tested positive.

Fife and St Andrews have been confirmed in Tier 2 after Nicola Sturgeon rolled out a tiered system yesterday.

The Principal said: “There is no evidence of transmission in our classrooms, study spaces, Library or Can Do facilities, all of which are subject to rigorous risk assessments”.

The email also said that a number of recent cases were as a result of students travelling away from St Andrews over Independent Learning Week and bringing Covid back with them.

Principal Mapstone said: “Our numbers remain low in comparison to many other places, but the pattern of the last two weeks underlines how fragile this position is”.

The email also warned against non-essential travel to Dundee and Edinburgh where infection rates are higher. Both cities are in Tier 3.

The Principal said: “We of course have students and staff who live in Dundee and who require to travel to study or work in St Andrews, and that should continue as per the current Scottish Government guidance.

“Trips for leisure or shopping or any other non-essential purpose should, however, not take place.”

Regarding the lockdown in England coming into force later this week, Principal Mapstone said: “Students have been advised NOT to go home and to remain at their university until the end of term.”

The email also encouraged students to let the Student’s Association know their plans for the Christmas holidays so they can make appropriate arrangements with the University.

The email noted: “The survey results so far show that over 80 per cent are planning to leave St Andrews at Christmas, and 92 per cent intend to return for our second semester.”