St Andrews beat Cambridge and is the second best university in the UK

Only Oxford beat us this year

St Andrews is the second best university in the UK – beating Cambridge, who now trail in third place.

The Guardian published its University guide this weekend and St Andrews came second in the league table, as we did last year. Only Oxford beat us to the top spot.

The Guardian rankings are based on student satisfaction with teaching, feedback and the course, staff to student ratio, spend per student, average entry tariff and career prospects following graduation.

With a Guardian score of 98/100, St Andrews retained its position in second place for the second year running. Oxford received a score of 100/100 and Cambridge 95.4/100.

St Andrews also had a significantly higher value added score than Cambridge. St Andrews received a score of 6.3/10 while Cambridge only got 5.4/10.

The St Andrew entry tariff was second highest with 211, beaten only by Cambridge with 212 and and much higher than leaders Oxford who only has a score of 203.

Principal Sally Mapstone said: “For a small Scottish university to be competing amongst the very best in the United Kingdom reflects our commitment to the highest standards of learning, teaching and student experience.

“This ranking is significant because it comes at a difficult period for students across the country who have experienced a year like no other, and are facing a very different university experience.”

This impressive ranking comes after St Andrews beat Darwin College, Cambridge by a huge margin of 165 points last week in University Challenge.

It appears St Andrews is presenting a firm challenge to the hegemony of Oxbridge as the UK’s best Universities.