Bare Revolution: St Andrews’ body inclusive fashion movement

Celebrating ‘all body types, abilities, and genders’

bare revolution event fashion fashion show

Bare Revolution is the latest fashion collective to hit the St Andrews social scene and aims to empower students by celebrating bodies in all shapes, sizes and forms.

The Tab spoke with Anneka Kuck, founder of the all-inclusive movement, to discuss how her committee is fostering body positivity in the Fife coastal town.

“Bare Revolution is about full acceptance. We’re working to create something where everyone can see themselves represented in our models. We want everyone to feel comfortable and included” Anneka told The Tab.

The seven-person committee was formed at the beginning of the year when Anneka reached out to body positivity activist and model Lucy Beall Lott with an idea to offer an alternative to the ‘uninclusive fashion shows’ around town. Lucy’s experience of raising awareness for her rare skin condition, Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB). brought Anneka’s vision to fruition and together they strive to “empower our student body” and celebrate bodies of all “types, abilities and genders” without discrimination or exclusion

According to Anneka, the name ‘Bare Revolution’ is significant as it highlights “the beauty of every body. Rather than being a fashion show in the true sense of the word, it’s a movement focused on the art in every person and how we are all beautiful in our own unique way.”

Bare Revolution launched their mission through a campaign shoot introducing their committee and models. These posts were accompanied by stories and personal anecdotes of body insecurities experienced by students throughout their lives.

This tied in with Anneka and her committee’s dedication to promoting ‘the idea that, regardless of perceived imperfections, everyone has a beautiful body.’

It also highlighted the multiple challenges these students have faced on the path to self-acceptance and empowerment.

Unfortunately, the escalation of the COVID-19 pandemic has put a damper on Bare Revolution’s plans for the rest of the semester. The committee has plans to kick off the next academic year with exciting new fashion shoots and a big catwalk event, all in celebration of body positivity and individuality.

You can follow Bare Revolution on Instagram to find out more about their initiative and future events.