West Sands body confirmed as Duncan Sim

‘Duncan’s loss will be widely felt across our small community and beyond’

Hide Images

After months of searching a body was discovered last week on West Sands. Today our worst fears have been confirmed.

Duncan Sim, a 19-year-old Chemistry student at the University of St Andrews, went missing earlier this year on March 14th, 2018.

In an email sent out to staff and students today, Principal Sally Mapstone confirmed that the body found on West Sands is that of Duncan Sim. She added if there is any comfort to be taken from today’s news, it’s that “the fact that the long search for him is finally over.”

The response to the news of Duncan’s disappearance was heart-warming, with many people from all over Fife coming together to search the Kingdom and beyond.

Known as “Simmy” to his friends, Duncan was an avid rugby and cricket player, and was a part of the University Rugby Club. He made friends quickly and easily after matriculating in 2017, and was at a social event at Madras Rugby Club the night he went missing.

Throughout our community, the hope of his return never ended.

According to the Police Scotland website, Duncan’s family released a statement saying “We are heartbroken by the loss of Duncan, our much loved son, brother, uncle and friend. We are very grateful for all the support that we received from the public, especially the Fife and Scottish Borders communities, during the search for Duncan…”

The family also added: “We respectfully request privacy at this difficult time.”

We have not yet been made aware of arrangements for Duncan’s funeral and/or memorial service, but Principal Mapstone will notify students and staff in due course.

The University Student Services team are available to anyone who needs them via www.st-andrews.ac.uk/studentservices.