Here’s why we should give up on renting and live in a camper van

You could buy a new camper van for less than you’ve paid in four years’ rent

By the time you finally buy a house, you will probably have spent over £50,000 on rent (that is you stay out of London).

Exorbitant rent costs, poor housing conditions and pointless bureaucracies such as the HMO ban, make renting (particularly in St Andrews) seem as unappetising as a piece of chicken languishing in the fridge, just getting more grim as time goes on.

Living in a caravan may seem an absurd solution but hear me out.

I’ve been considering it for a wee while. And I’m still up for it.

Image may contain: Vehicle, Van, Transportation

my ideal new digs x

It's way cheaper in the long run

Firstly there’s the cost. The average rent in St Andrews is £510 a month (up from £450 in the rest of Scotland). This comes to over £6,000 a year. Compare this with a say a £12,000 campervan (note: you would only have to it buy once). You will also be avoiding the annoying need to pay for your flat while you’re not living in it.

You'll stop spending all your money on ASOS

What better way to beat consumerism than to get rid of nearly everything (or store it at your parents’ house) than by living in a small portable home? Studies show that having fewer possessions gives us more focus on what really matters and ultimately makes us happier.

Think of the instagram photos

You could travel one of the best things about living in a caravan. It’s like being on holiday all the time. Living in a motorhome will allow you to move more easily and live life. You get up and go, not worrying about packing or accommodation. There are campsites as well as wild camping you can make use of. You are not tied down and can stop off where you want.

You are closer to nature

Transporting your own water makes you realise how valuable it is, and stems your appreciation of your surroundings. And there’s something very special about falling asleep to the sound of the sound of the rain and seeing the sunrise through your windscreen.

Even Spotify recognises that it has natural sounds playlists.

No flatmates

Transitioning from a flat of six to a campervan seems like a path to being a complete hermit. Yet I’ve found that when I’ve travelled alone, those have always been the best trips. Chiefly because it’s much easier to meet people as you are much more open to contact and are more flexible with what you can do. Of course, there’s a difference between a few weeks or months, and permanently living alone.

You could probably have a dog

Maybe I’ll get a dog. Though that’s high maintenance. A goldfish will do.

They even have toilets

Living in a campervan can be a modern, vibrant and zen way of living (and yes, they do have toilets). I need to pass a C1 driving test, and haven’t even sat my ordinary one yet. Maybe one day, ya’ll see me in my wee retro campervan driving doon’ a country road somewhere. With my pet goldfish.

University of St Andrews

The Tab St. Andrews

last seen today at 10:02

Get St. Andrews news straight to your WhatsApp

How much the uni are paying for the next ball DJ and who was wearing what at the fashion show. Straight into your DMs. 😘