St Andrews ranked fifth best university in the UK

Edinburgh who?

Hide Images

The University of St Andrews has been placed fifth in the UK in this year's Complete University Guide ranking. This is out of the 131 eligible institutions in the UK which fulfil the criteria for joining the league table.

St Andrews came after the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, The London School of Economics and Political Science, and Imperial College London.

St Andrews came in front of Durham, sixth, and Edinburgh who came a pitiful 23rd. Sorry, Edi.

St Andrews also came top in the UK for three subjects: African and Middle Eastern Studies, English and Business and Management studies.

Additionally, 90 per cent of graduates have been found to graduate with "good honours" – meaning a 2:1 or above – which is above the 80 per cent average of the other top 24 UK institutions (except Lancaster uni).

However, it's not all news to celebrate. Being in fifth place means that St Andrews has dropped two places from last year where it was ranked third in the UK. London universities have stormed ahead and relegated us to beyond the top three.

However, these rankings might not need to be taken so seriously. The Complete University Guide describes the uni library as having "plenty of seating options include silent floors and also spaces where students can chat, eat and drink while studying." That's blatantly false information as anyone who has been in there in week 11 knows.