Image may contain: Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

Plans revealed for two weeks of staff strikes at St Andrews

These will take place during term time

| UPDATED staff strikes

The University has confirmed the dates of the university-wide strike that will take place in February and March. Over 90% of university staff voted to strike.

Many members of staff, including tutors, have placed up posters to support the nationwide strike action. The action has been called for after a ballot held by the University College Union (UCU), showed an overwhelming support for strike action.

According to the UCU, lecturers could lose up to £10,000 from their retirement pension packages. The university stated that they hoped industrial action could be "avoided", but acknowledged the concerns of those who voted in the UCU ballot.

The strike dates are Thursday 22, Friday 23, Monday 26, Tuesday 27, Wednesday 28 of February, Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8, Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March.

It is expected that picket lines or some form of public protest will be held but no official protest of those striking has been organised.

The university Socialist Society is holding a Facebook event to help support the strike and has urged students to not attend university on the dates in question. The university has not, as of yet, advised students as to what will happen if your tutor is striking. According to the Socialist Society, lectures and tutorials held by striking tutors will not be held. The society made a statement to The Tab regarding this strike action

"The call for strike action is absolutely the right call by the UCU, and the St Andrews Socialist Society supports the struggle of the lecturers and professors of the University against these outrageous cuts […] The aim of the strike is to disrupt the normal operation of the university, which requires a collective effort."