St Andrews ranked in the top 100 universities in the world

Above Edinburgh, of course

2017 has been a bumper year for St. Andrews University as it has been named 92nd in the world by QS University Rankings. The result delivers a drop in 15 places from the last academic year, but maintains St Andrews reputation as one of the world's leading universities. It currently stands as the top university in Scotland and the third in the U.K.

St. Andrews has continually delivered high worldwide rankings, potentially due to its large international population and high acceptance criteria. The 40 per cent (probably all from America bar the one girl in your economics tutorial from Germany) of international students often face even more competitive entry standards than U.K. students. Additionally, the module system that makes all of us do a dread third subject, Great Ideas for anyone who wants an easy 18, has consistently been used as evidence in St. Andrews' versatility and more rounded education.

However, St Andrews, like many other British Universities, have seen large drops in ranking position in the 2017-2018 academic year. Overall, some English universities appear to have lost out, with some critics blaming a potential funding crisis which may follow the British exit of the European Union. Bet you wish your grandparents had voted to stay now, amirite?

The rankings take into account research quality, funding, teaching, and the all important 'student satisfaction'. However, it seems unlikely that your review of AN1003 actually contributed to this in any way, shape or form. The rankings do not reflect the general trend within British internal rankings systems, suggesting that cosmopolitan populations and a heavy-research focus is more widely valued internationally.

So, if you're feeling bad about the 11 you got in economics, you can just tell mum and granny that St. Andrews is a top 100 world University instead … plus it's miles in front of Dundee, which is all that counts.