St Andrews Charity Fashion Show 2017 has been cancelled

St Andrews biggest social event has been cancelled due to bad weather and high power winds

Hide Images

The St Andrews Charities Fashion Show 2017, or FS, has been cancelled. Due to adverse weather conditions the event, which was due to take place on Lower College Lawn in a marquee, was deemed a danger to guests. The announcement was made just an hour before the event was due to start. The wind was deemed unstable with risk to guests’ health and safety.

The FS committee released a statement about the cancellation stating “It is with deep regret that we must inform you that the event has been cancelled due to the wind and inclement weather. It has been a joint decision made by the University of St Andrews, the security company, and our production company in order to ensure the safety of our guests. We will be in touch with more information as soon as possible and we greatly appreciate everyone’s support in this decision. We are saddened to announce this after so much planning and excitement, but ultimately feel that it is the best decision given the circumstances.” 

The event has seen hundred complaining via Facebook about how the weather is ‘not too bad’. However, it is understood that the decision was joint between the FS committee, the production team and the St Andrews Students Association. Some students have responded in total outrage through memes and angry words to FS Facebook page.

The event, which is often ranked top in the St Andrews yearly social calendar, has seen the likes of Kate Middleton perform and is noted for its serious fashion and beautiful models. The event was due to have nearly 2000 attendees at both the show and afterparty and it was expected that up to 500 bottles of champagne would be sold.

There is not yet word on what compensation for those that paid the full £70 ticket price will receive but this will likely be announced on their Facebook page. However, in true St Andrews fashion house parties are already being arranged to continue the night of madness.