“I’m sick of being treated like a costume.”- Women’s rugby team apologises after being caught in cultural appropriation row.

A valid response to racism? Or PC gone mad?

Headdress at the back

Headdress at the back

A St Andrews Women’s Rugby club social involving members dressing up as Native Americans has sparked a debate about cultural appropriation. The costumes drew anger from many St Andrews students, calling the action “out of touch” and “abhorrent.”

Thadd Hall, a second year Persian and Spanish student of mixed Mandan, Hidatsa and Hunkpapa Lakota descent, posted a message on facebook slamming the team, saying that the costume “remind(ed) me that I am, to many, just a Tonto or Lost Boy or Tiger Lily from Peter Pan when they decide to don costumes of a racist caricature of my people.”

Speaking to the Tab, Hall (partially pictured above) said: “It just pisses me off because it is such a disrespectful caricature that plays on the idea of the savage redskin that we just wear warpaint and feathers and war whoop all the time and attack cowboys unprovoked.”

He added that. “Another fucking thing that just pisses me off is that it goes without saying that these kids are going to make at least one joke about alcoholism with natives tonight. As if one of the most crippling problems in our community is a joke and not something that destroys families and is a residual effect of colonialism and the fact that we have survived a genocide by the skin of our teeth.”

When asked by The Tab about these criticisms, the St Andrew’s Women’s Rugby Club responded by putting out an official statement: “The event was organised by a group of girls who were not elected representatives of the club and just wanted to put on a good event. The theme was a surprise and we did not mean to cause offense. If offense has been caused, we can understand why people might have been offended by some of our members actions and we apologise for this.”

Fevered debate broke out on Facebook

Cultural Appropriation ( defined as “The adoption or use of elements of one culture by members of a different culture.” ) is a controversial on university campuses in both the UK and USA: The University of East Anglia Student Union drew criticism for banning a restaurant from handing out sombreros on campus, while at Yale a lecturer was forced to resign last year after sending an email questioning a ban on culturally insensitive Halloween costumes.

….And Yik Yak

Opinions were split among St Andrews Students about the issue, with many questioning whether cultural appropriation can be considered racism.

Karl Mclean, a Fourth Year studying Maths argued there was a distinction between cultural appropriation and racism: “I think it’s important to say that simply dressing up like that doesn’t necessarily imply that the conduct was not appropriate and respectful.”

Fergus McCullough, a First Year Studying Modern History called the criticisms of the Women’s Rugby team “an overreaction”, saying “I don’t understand why it’s a racial caricature.”

Others take more extreme views. One student, commenting anonymously, said “This is cultural marxism, plain and simple. What we’re seeing here is nothing less than an attempt to take away our freedom of speech. People should be able to dress however the fuck they want, and if you disagree with that you’re a pathetic pussy who needs to get real.”

However, several students were less sympathetic. One 1st Year Biologist said: “It was a culturally insensitive thing to do.”

Dante Blais-Billie, a First Year management student of Saminole descent added “Not only does dressing up as an “Indian” generalise the cultures of hundreds of independent tribes through stereotypes, but it also perpetuates the misconception that Native Americans are a romanticised part of the past. We are modern people with a modern culture, and it’s frustrating to be taken seriously especially since our population is so marginalised.”

Despite this polarisation, though, many St Andrews students take a more balanced view of the situation, best summed up by this quote from another anonymous student:
“My general view is that it’s definitely something that’s a problem and people need to be aware of it. It’s totally unfair to take advantage of someone else’s culture, especially if you don’t know anything about it or are doing it in a malicious way or think it’s okay to do that and still hold views that are racist.

“However I do feel like a lot of people take it way too far (like those who) don’t like it when some people do dutch braids, saying it’s cultural appropriation which is just bull. I guess my general rule is as long as you use it in a way that celebrates the culture instead of being ignorant or mean about it then it’s okay.”