University refutes report on gender pay gap

St Andrews University slammed “irresponsible and counterproductive claims”

A recent report by the University and College Union on wage inequality at Universities has divided opinion in St Andrews. The report claimed that female staff at St Andrews were paid only 80% as much as their male counterparts, and referred to “shameful levels of inequality” in the University sector. The UCU claimed that:

“It is not good enough for sector leaders, in either further or higher education to say that tackling the problem is too complicated. Where there is a will, there is a way. If sector leaders adopt a clear policy position that the gap must be closed, the UCU will work with them to achieve this objective.”

However, this charge has been strongly denied by the University, who have called into question the evidence used by the UCU. A University source stated:

“We don’t recognise these figures. The UCU analysis appears to be based on out of date information. Our figures for 2015 show that the gender pay gap among lecturers in St Andrews is £173 per year (0.90%), nowhere near the figure of over £8000 quoted by the UCU. We are committed to continuing to address gender pay gaps across all grades of staff and like many universities have made strong and significant progress in recent years. Sensationalising this complex issue by recycling old data is irresponsible and counter productive.”

Opinion was equally divided among the student body. One student, who preferred to remain anonymous said that:
“This report shows that even in The Bubble, we still have serious problems with gender inequality. Despite having had two female principals and lots of high-ranking female academics, there is still a long way to go.”

On the other hand, other students have questioned whether the Gender Pay Gap exists at all. Peter Papavasiliou a First Year Biology Student claimed that:

“The gender pay gap is the result of the average divergent choices that women and man make. these include: choosing different degrees, applying for different jobs and taking more time off work, usually to have or look after children. This is the result of the free decisions that many women make and so it is reflected in an earnings gap. I don’t consider it an issue as long as the women are happy with the choices they have made.”