Heat may be the biggest night to hit St Andrews

A new event in a new venue with a completely new atmosphere

Although this past year the Rule has been no stranger to parties – most notably, first semester’s Go Funk Yourself – it was still an unusual sight last Thursday when a queue began to form along South Street. Advertised as “the next big thing” to hit St Andrews, Heat was launched in the newly renovated Rule, home of cheap cocktails and an updated food menu.

The benefits of hosting an event at the Rule remain the same: Unlike Ma Bells or even Club 601, a cohesive dancefloor can be formed in the centre of the pub. The array of nooks and crannies and a spacious upstairs area allow guests to mingle with some semblance of organisation, rather than mindlessly moshing in the general direction of the DJ booth.

Following its renovations, the Rule has further improved on these advantages with a lighting and sound system more favourable to a clubbing atmosphere, transforming the daytime sports bar into a proper dance venue.

With over 250 students even at a startling £5 entry price, the night lived up to its advertising campaign. Of the Lizard, Vic, and Ma Bells, Heat provided the cheapest drinks with £2.50 jager bombs and £1.50 shots – not to mention the occasional free shot supplied on the dance floor.

Headlined by the always excellent DJ FLO and supported by Ma Bells favourites //SG and DWoods, the music kept the pub packed throughout the initial set of Rap, R&B, and Hip Hop and throughout the final two hours of House and Disco.

Between Heat and the upcoming Tea House, February is proving itself to be a turning point in St Andrews nightlife. Rather than one-off themed nights, a consistent array of events beyond the Union’s Sinners or the Vic’s Throwback Thursdays would give us something to look forward to each month, other than the expected black tie affairs.

Riding high off its initial success, Heat intends to return for those who missed out on the launch night. Updates can be found on its Facebook page, where Thursday’s launch video can also be viewed.