DRA Ball: Debrief

The DRA ball committee proved that great music, a large dance floor and a variety of entertainment, makes for a fantastic night, fit even for a member of her Majesty’s Secret Service.

Billed as “a thrilling night of music, action and gambling”, the long-awaited Casino Royale-themed DRA ball didn’t disappoint. Despite the controversy surrounding increased ticket prices due to the change in venue to Lower College Lawn, the new venue provided a refreshing change from the tired, overused Kinkell Byre.

As guests entered the venue they were greeted with an array of poker and blackjack tables, as well as complementary drinks, unlimited popcorn and the infamous Janetta’s ice cream. Alongside the usual trappings of St Andrews balls such as the photo booth, there was even a model Aston Martin located in the middle of the marquee with guests able to get photos taken with it, or, (if the bouncer didn’t notice), on it.

In a novel attempt to encourage guests to arrive at the ball on time rather than the customly, ‘fashionably late’ 11pm, there was a surprise show due to start at 10pm. It seemed to successfully entice guests with the venue pretty busy by 9.45pm. The show turned out to be an interestingly choreographed burlesque-esque dance with feathers and sequins galore!

The band, a 3-man set-up called ‘Franco’, and new to the St Andrews ball scene, got into full swing a little after 10pm playing a mixture of current pop songs and old classics that soon had almost everyone up and dancing. A large number of sofas and chairs were strategically placed around the gambling tables and on the edges of the dance floor to provide guests with a place to recuperate – clearly learning from the shortcomings of previous balls this year.

This reviewer felt that ‘Franco’ were a revelation, potentially rivalling the St Andrews’ live band stalwarts, The Black Sheep Music Society. Franco succeeded in getting the crowd up into a frenzy, rounding off their set with ‘Teenage Dirtbag’, and the undisputed crowd-pleaser ‘Mr Brightside’, before being coerced by the familiar chants of ‘one more song’ to play another two songs.

There did seem to be rather slow transition to the DJ, and the only criticism from the night was that the DJ didn’t provide any original mixes, almost sounding like an iPod that was placed on shuffle. However, the eclectic mix of music, ranging from Michael Jackson to Macklemore kept the dancefloor packed until the lights came up just before 2am.

The crowd’s reception to both Franco and the DJ was proof that ‘cheesy’ pop songs and sing along classics songs are more than welcome in St Andrews’ ball-scene. The fun and light-hearted atmosphere that the music and the crowd created was a welcome change to the usual, repetitive, thudding House music that we are constantly treated to in the Vic and most other balls. Hopefully, other balls and club-nights will take note.

Overall, in keeping with tradition, it was a roaring success providing excellent music and a variety of activities in a beautifully decorated venue. Whilst often overlooked in the ball calendar alongside more prestigious events like FS and Christmas Ball, last night, the DRA ball committee proved that great music, a large dance floor and a variety of entertainment, makes for a fantastic night, fit even for a member of her Majesty’s Secret Service.

Photographs by Lightbox Creative and by Piers Moss.