DRA Ball will be a night worthy of 007 himself

Shaken, not stirred

The committee answers all of our questions about this Friday’s Casino Royale.

What entertainment can guests expect on the night? Any local DJs or bands we might be familiar with?

We’ll be having a three-man band called Franco play from 9pm until midnight, followed by a DJ that they’re providing until 2am. Franco is an amazing band that travel all over Scotland to perform; they’ve had some fantastic concerts in major cities, like Glasgow and Edinburgh, performing a whole range of songs that cover all the top hits from the last four or five decades.

For the first hour or so of our ball, they’ll be playing all the James Bond theme songs from over the years as people enter the marquee, to really set the theme of the event. Then for the rest of the evening, expect to hear all of your favourite songs to dance along to!

Lower College Lawn has hosted countless balls in the past. How does the committee plan to decorate the venue to channel the spirit of Casino Royale?

Our main piece of entertainment will be the number of casino tables set up and organised by professional croupiers, all dressed up in Black Tie. In terms of decorating the marquee itself, we’ll be using the lights and hand-made decorations, made by committee members themselves, reproduced that sexy yet sinister James Bond feel. We’ll be setting up lounge areas throughout the marquee, so students can truly feel like the characters from Casino Royale.

Can you give us a sneak peek at the night’s speciality cocktails? I’m sure some variation of a martini will be making an appearance, in honour of James Bond.

Well thats a secret for the night! We know that the drinks are quite possibly the most important aspect of any ball, so a lot of thought has gone into it. Recipes are be creative, and although you will find the traditional choice of drink too, all drinks will be inspired by the big man himself – 007!

Finally, can we get any hints as to what the “surprise show” at 10pm might be? Just enough to keep us guessing!

All I can say is that you’ll definitely be left wanting more! It’s a show that no other St Andrews ball has thought of doing, so guests will certainly not want to miss it!

About the charging for tickets this year: It’s quite simple, the cost of organising the ball this year has increased significantly because we have shifted to lower college lawn with the aim of organising a better quality ball for our residents. Therefore we are charging for tickets in order to cover the additional costs.